Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Is a 95 5.0L TPS the adjustable type?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Is a 95 5.0L TPS the adjustable type?

Gonna replace this, ordered a Motorcraft from RockAuto from advice here. I've watched a bunch of videos and similar years, the videos just drop it in the original spot. But I've seen one where it was important to get it in same position as before as it was adjustable.

I know what you are saying...is it broken? I've changed IAC, cleaned throttle body (as best as I could, didn't remove), cleaned MAF, new vacuums and all seems to make the truck better. But just once a while, I'm still getting a weird hesitation at around 20 and 45mph (stutter, hesitation, etc).

So watching a lot of diagnosis videos, I just realized all of these are kinda intertwined and work together. So I think this is the last piece of the puzzle to clean out or change with a better one (it's over 225K miles so time to replace stuff).
Old 09-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You can test it with a voltmeter to see if there's actually a problem with it before you change it. Testing the old one even if you change it will tell you if that's actually the problem and it will also give you a little practice so you can make sure the new one is "dialed in" just right.
Look on page 2 or 3 for "testing the TPS". You'll want to do the signal wire test. And maybe bump it up for other people to find.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 04:47 PM

That's a good idea. I was just gonna remove and replace but yeah, I might as well take longer and actually learn how to test it even though I'm gonna replace it. I saw a really good video of one. Let me keep looking in the How-to section.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:27 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

His write up is here:
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/testin...ht=testing+tps
ericantonio (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
Great thanks! I'm not that great with electrical stuff and I finally bought a multimeter for the first time in my life earler this summer to get my pump relay.

So in the video above, the throttle is off the engine. And I'm assuming the TPS is still plugged in for the testing. But how do you test it with moving the throttle?

I watched this guy last night, tps testing

http://tinyurl.com/pucncnc

And a couple of other ones. For an inexperienced newbie like me, it's a little daunting cause a couple of videos warn that if I do this wrong, I'll toast something and I'll be SOL!

Last edited by ericantonio; 09-24-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: more
Old 09-24-2015, 07:08 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

It helps to have a second set of hands, just use the two probes to push into the wires of the ground and the signal, hold them there while someone turns the throttle control. You would be hard pressed to fry something so don't overthink the process, just make sure you properly identify the wires first. Key must be on, engine off.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:24 AM

I tried testing it and I thought there was a problem with the way I was doing it. I was doing the "safety pin" method of sticking it in the wire. It read .2. Hmmm, so I decided to just remove the throttle completely and replace it.

What a MESS!!! Broke some of the old brittle hoses and coolant leaked. Better now that it breaking while driving.

Inside the throttle, behind the round piece that opens and closes, was DIRTY!!!! I will need to get some of those stiff round wire brushes for my drill and clean the entire throttle body. Inside the intake manifold (didn't put a flashlight through it but I will tomorrow) was dirty!!! Caked in there with carbon. And there is a hole between the top and bottom air intake that was completely clogged. So I'll be spending a lot of time cleaning this out tomorrow. Worth the effort I think.

When putting in the new one, I'll try sticking a pin in the wire before I install the throttle. Oh and yeah, I broke the ceramic or plastic piece of the accelarator cable. Its the 2" section just before the end that attaches to the throttle. I'll start another thread with that.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:34 PM

TPS is in. Throttle and intake manifold is super clean. I still couldn't get a good reading on that black wire! Maybe I need a real piercing probe. I'll try again when it cools off a little later today

Right now, it's running a bit high on idle. But it sure does take off from stop and no hesitation whatsoever in between shifting gears!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I just use the point of the m/m probe and stick it right through the insulation on the wire. Some may disagree with doing that but I haven't had any issues. You can use some liquid silicone to seal it after if you want to be fussy.
Anyway, doing it that way, I get a good reading.
ericantonio (09-28-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 AM

I found this post:
http://tinyurl.com/o49gw7d

Looks like Motorola TPS uses the GREEN wire as the TP signal wire.

I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe I can find a piercing probe somewhere. But I'll try the safety pin method and I have some hobby paint I can paint it over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a 95 5.0L TPS the adjustable type?