Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

94 4.9L [[ Few Problems ]]

Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 4.9L [[ Few Problems ]]

Ok. I have a 94 F-150 with a 4.9L

Prob #1 :: Whenever I am driving, but only when I give it a little gas I hear a knock, I was guessing one of the valves or something wasnt set right. Not sure.

#2 :: I have milky substances in my oil, I just had my whole engine completely done with new gaskets. But, it was sitting for almost a year before that was done. Any clue? And a way to get it cleaned out?

#3 :: I have a lot of smoke coming from my Air Filter compartment, well the hose that comes from my Valve to the Air filter. Any clue?

And finally I have a Airbag code #23, easy to fix?

I need some help on this. I dont really have tons of money, so the cheapest way out will be very appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Milky substances in the oil means water is getting in the oil. Smoke from the PCV valve is blow by. The valves aren't adjustable, they only torque down. Pretty hard to mess that up. So all in all I would say whoever rebuilt your engine messed it up.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 AM

sounds like somebody did a pi$$poor job putting her back together. I'd contact the 'shop', and see if they'd make it right. when that doesn't work, i'd contact the BBB then your state's AG office.

'that' hose coming coming from right behind the OIL fill cap, is (my understanding is) a return for excess air from the combustion process being recycled through the air box. If you're getting smoke there, probably related to the water in the oil... might be as simple as a line crossed / plugged in wrong, might be worse like a 10mm socket some toolbox dropped in there bouncing around (knock).

one thing i'm sure of, if you keep driving it as it is, 'whatever' your problem is, it will get worse and more expensive...
Old 04-05-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hose that comes from the air filter housing into the crankcase via the valve cover is the fresh air intake into the crankcase. This is filtered to clean out dirt and the outlet is through the PVC valve. If you are getting excess gasses into your crankcase this could allow the air to pass backwards through this into you airbox. This could be caused by either excessive blow by or a bad head gasket. The milky condition of you oil sounds like a bad head gasket. The knock could be from the water thinning out the oil and creating a rod or main knock under load, or it could be piston clatter from worn wristpins, low octane fuel, or timming out of adjustment.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 PM

I appreciate all the replies.
This helps a lot.

Last night it went out on me.
Wont start for anything. It seems like it is trying to turn over, but not getting gas or something. I have no idea what wrong.

More detail on problems.

I only hear the knock when I first start it and ride off, I do let it sit for a little while running before I ride it everyday.

The timing is good, In fact I just went and did it.

But I'm going to call the guy that did it tommorow. [Monday]

I hope he has something good to tell me at least, if not. Oh well.

Thank you guys, and if there is anything else. Please let me know.
Or if someone lives in the Greenville, SC area. Try and get in contact with me.

864 325 9809
My name is Joey.

Thanks for everything again.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Almost giving the tell tale signs of a bad head gasket. Blow by when running could be a ring problem, water in the oil could be one of a few things. Knocking noises could be a wrist pin or even a rob bearing. Either way,thats sucky for a rebuild job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 4.9L [[ Few Problems ]]