Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

93 F150 Lifted, Steering Dampener Rubbing Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 F150 Lifted, Steering Dampener Rubbing Tie Rod

It's a 1993 F150 with the 4.9L I6, 4wd.

I bought this vehicle already lifted, it has a 6 inch lift and it seems to be done properly with premium parts (besides the steering dampener and possibly pitman arm which you can see below). No homemade stuff.

The steering dampener is rubbing the tie rod, to the point where it's marking up the dampener badly and breaking loose anything I try to use to secure the boot. I do not know a lot about these TTB axles, steering, and all of that. This is actually the first American vehicle I have ever owned.

It seems like it's the wrong steering dampener, wrong brackets holding the steering dampener on, or the pitman arm is to short. Possibly a combination of all of that.

Let me know what you think after you see the pictures.

93 F150 Lifted, Steering Dampener Rubbing Tie Rod-yq4nxyg.jpg

93 F150 Lifted, Steering Dampener Rubbing Tie Rod-eaozxmq.jpg

93 F150 Lifted, Steering Dampener Rubbing Tie Rod-cbbd1sm.jpg
Old 12-10-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That looks like the proper drop pitman arm. Truck's got an awful lot of lift on it. Maybe a bit too much ? Things always get a little screwed up if you go too far with the whole lifting thing.
Looks like the dampener needs a different (frame end) attachment point. You may need to fabricate a bracket if you can't find a better spot for it.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
That looks like the proper drop pitman arm. Truck's got an awful lot of lift on it. Maybe a bit too much ? Things always get a little screwed up if you go too far with the whole lifting thing.
Looks like the dampener needs a different (frame end) attachment point. You may need to fabricate a bracket if you can't find a better spot for it.
I have seen other OBS F-150's with much more lift, I am not saying it's not a lot but I do not think it's extreme.

Here's a picture of it with the 6" lift, I don't think it is to crazy.

93 F150 Lifted, Steering Dampener Rubbing Tie Rod-xkwsldf.jpg

The steering damper kits I have found online seem to have a different bracket that mounts to the frame, maybe this is possibly the issue? Here is a picture of the Moog kit to see what I am talking about:

Name:  5tsfeAh.png
Views: 56
Size:  104.4 KB

Any other ideas or suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i have never seen one attach that way on a ford like that. usually they attach to the frame instead of the bottom of the spring area like that. that way it can move free of the tie rods..
Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by justintendo
i have never seen one attach that way on a ford like that. usually they attach to the frame instead of the bottom of the spring area like that. that way it can move free of the tie rods..
You definitely pointed me in the right direction, thank you!

After some research and looking at broncos with the same front axle, it appears that this is some universal steering damper kit on there which is obviously not working right. Seems like there is 2 types of proper steering damper kits for these trucks which either mount to the frame with some long brackets and/or u-bolts or mount to the engine crossmember.

Last edited by hawkfall; 12-13-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

thats how i have seen them, the two ways you mention...sounds like you are on the right track. perhaps you can just buy a hardware kit and use your damper still. might be hard tho with your lift.

Quick Reply: 93 F150 Lifted, Steering Dampener Rubbing Tie Rod