Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

92 fuel gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 fuel gauge not working

This is my grandpa's truck. it is a 1992 xlt 2wd, auto, 5.0/302, 2 tanks. the gas guage is having problems...when you put gas in it, it will go with the fuel until it gets to 1/4 tank then it will just drop back down to nothing. ive heard and read everything from fuses to ground wires to sending units. i dont think it is a sending unit because it happens with both tanks. i dont think it is a ground wire because i would think it would be jumpy all the time, not just move when you refuel. fuse...possible but i dont know which one. ideas?
thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Default .

did i mention it only has 58,50x miles on it.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Can someone please respond to this because I have the same truck, year, and 2 tanks. I am new to domestics and need help with this issue.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your guage act the same on both tanks, or just one of them? Typically, the sending unit is the cause if your guage doesn't work right, but if both tanks act exactly the same way I would check the guage itself.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Let me go out and check it.. I have not had the truck long enought to check both tanks..

Please standby
Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM

I acts the same but when I was parked and got it I noticed it wasn't all the way on E. It was just a little over it. When I started the truck it when down without touching the switch for either tank. It is set on the rear now... I am on my blackberry about to drive it.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It's the fuel level sending unit. They are a common item to go out on these trucks. Both are bad on my truck but they do act slightly different. Both will read full until about a quarter tank then bounce closer to E the less fuel there is until the tank is almost empty then it quits bouncing and just points to E. But one tank will go all the way to F again before reading just E.
The following users liked this post:
Puttputt (05-21-2023)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks!

How much is it on average and is it an aftermarket part?

Is there more than one since I have two tanks?

If there is can I test them to see which is the problem?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is one in each tank. If both are giving incorrect readings, both are bad.

You can buy them at your local auto parts store.

Here's the deal - you have to drop the fuel tank and pull the fuel pump to change the sending unit. Think seriously about replacing the pump while you're in there. You won't want to do it again any time soon...
Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Fuel Guage Issues.

Originally Posted by oatmeal
Can someone please respond to this because I have the same truck, year, and 2 tanks. I am new to domestics and need help with this issue.

Thanks
Ive driven ford trucks and vans since 1970. Ford Motor Company has a continuing problem with the fuel floats getting weep holes in them and filling partially with fue on some vehicles. The biggest problem I know personally about is the older 1985-1995 light duty cargo vans. I have a 1990 F-150 with 50k actual miles on it. Im on my 2nd fuel pump and float. Ford doesnt offer, or hasnt offered in the past, just the float new and that is all that is defective . You have the buy a new pump assembly to get a new float. My first float went bad at 18,700 miles , my second float went bad at 47,000 miles. Ive been driving 180 miles between fill-ups by the odometer only. Im getting tired of changing out the expensive fuel pumps just to have a working gas guage.
The fuel pumps themselves would be good for 85K miles or more. My dads ford pickup has had 2 floats put in it.
The moral of this story is to not put to much money into high dollar fixes until you check that float. I love ford products, but some have problems with these float bulbs. What Ive shared with you is based on mu familys experiences.
On the vehicles I have described to you, the floats are a part of the fuel pump assembly and they these assemblies mounted in the fuel tank itself. Its 150 dollars or more if you fix. I was just told that Ford has released the patent on those fuel pump assemblies so a person can buy them at the local auto parts stores now. Maybe the floats will be of a heavier material and last longer. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 92 fuel gauge not working