Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

92 F-150 Smog Pump, EGR and Cats Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM
92 F-150 TwinTurbocharged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 F-150 Smog Pump, EGR and Cats Removal

I have a 92 F-150 and I just purchased Twin Turbo headers with 2 - T3/T4 turbos. I was planning on removing smog pump, EGR valve and cats from truck to creat more power, reduce drag on engine and have more free flowing exhaust seeing as I just purchased turbos. Just wondering if anyone had done this before on an F-150 and if any check engine lights will pop up. I fount EGR block off plate, EGR Valve Eliminator, EGR intake plug and bolts to block off smog pump pipes that connect to rear of engine heads. I found a smog pump eliminator pulley but its for 5.0 mustangs and not sure if it will work on an F-150. I think it might seeing as they both have the same engines but do have differnt pulley setups. I know with EGR valve eliminator check engine light wont turn on but not sure about when I remove smog pump as vaccum lines wont be working but will be plugged. Mustang guys say as long as vacumn lines are plugged check engine light wont turn on but what about on F-150's. This the answer I really need. If anyone can help me out here I would really appreciate it. As for cats being removed I know check engine light is going to turn on but what if I put oxygen sensor closer to headers will check engine light still turn on or is there something else I can do to trick ECU.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:33 PM

check engine light wont come on from removing cats because the truck dosnt have after cat o2's. so the computer has no way of telling if they are there. as far as the egr elimination connector plug stops the light from coming on but it only lasted 1 week on my truck before it melted inside, now my light is on. i will eliminate it when the custom chip is burned on friday. the smog pump eliminator for a mustang will work. im running it on my truck now. block off the vacume lines and no light will come on. the smog pump elimination will store a code but no light.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by foxjordan22
check engine light wont come on from removing cats because the truck dosnt have after cat o2's. so the computer has no way of telling if they are there. as far as the egr elimination connector plug stops the light from coming on but it only lasted 1 week on my truck before it melted inside, now my light is on. i will eliminate it when the custom chip is burned on friday. the smog pump eliminator for a mustang will work. im running it on my truck now. block off the vacume lines and no light will come on. the smog pump elimination will store a code but no light.
Hey thanks for info, I will remove now. As for eliminating smog pump did you use a smaller belt or did you buy the aluminum pulley they sell for mustangs to eliminate smog pump and use factory size belt. If you did use a smaller belt what kind did you use. If you dont mind could you post a pic of your smog pump elimination on this site. I will be posting pics of twin turbo setup soon as I already installed headers and turbos just need to run oil lines, intercooler & tubing including custom 3" exhaust.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

im using ford motorsports underdrive pully kit and smog pump removal pully. im using the belt recommended with the pully kit.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Will the smog pump eliminator kit work on a 5.8? Is it the same pulley and bracket setup?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you putting twin turbos on a stock engine? do you have any plans for anything other than the turbo's? (engine wise)
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM

No the engine has been bored .030 over and has speed pro forged aluminum pistons with balanced crankshaft and rods and pistons all matched within a gram of each other. I am using the stock heads with trick flow valve springs for aggressive cams and trick flow camshaft, chromoly pushrods with guideplates. Edelbrock performer intake manifold, trick flow 1" phenolic intake spacer, bbk throttle body, ngk spark plugs, msd pro billet distributor, msd boost retard module, msd coil, 80mm C&L MAF meter, ECU off a 94-F-150 with MAF(speed density to mass air conversion), aeromotive fuel pressure regulator for boost applications, 42lb ford racing fuel injectors, 255lp Walbro fuel pumps in each tank, twin turbo headers(turbos sit on each side of engine),3" true dual exhaust with h-pipe, Flowtech Mufflers and QTP Electric cutouts,March underdrive pulleys, summit racing alternator bracket which eliminates smog pump and belt tensioner,high performance damper for high rpms, S.F.I. approved SCAT Flex Plate, High Stall 2500RPM torque converter,Trans stock right now except for B&M Electronic shift kit, Deep sump pan for E4OD Trans with cooling tubes, aluminum 1 piece driveshaft, 4.56 gears, auburn Ected locker(posi to fully locked at the flip of a switch. there are many more mods but thats all i can think of right now that has been done
Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
King92

Hi I would like to do away with smog pump, air conditioning and fan.
The kit you mentioned will help accomplish this? Where did you find this kit?
Jegs, J.C Whitney, Summit or ??? anything else I will need to look for? plugs for the tube at the back of the heads? What did you plug the vacume tubes with?
Sorry for all the questions...it's how I learn
Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to see you have a decent set of pistons, are the crank and rods stock?
all those mods, why are you runnin stock heads?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Mechanicalmike08

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will getting rid of the EGR decrease gas milage or pretty much do nothing

Quick Reply: 92 F-150 Smog Pump, EGR and Cats Removal