Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

91 Ford F150---Fuel relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Ford F150---Fuel relay

From one day to the next the truck wouldnt start. I finally got it to start and ran it for a while and the check engine light came on. I shut the truck off thinking I just needed to get it down to auto zone for a "free dianostic". After about 4 hours I tried it again the engine turns fine but wont start. I checked the rail for fuel and had plenty. I checked the distributor cap and it was good (not that old). I turned the switch on listening for the fuel pump to activate and it did. This time I heard a clicking noise under the hood. The fuel relay was clicking continously. I plan to go down as soon as the rain stop to see if I can get one without going to a dealer (on foot right now). I believe this to be the problem but not sure. I have been battling starting problems for some time now. Get it fixed running good then goes bad again.

I have tried to get a code reader from the local folks and theirs are only for 1996 and up. If I could find one I would buy it...any suggestions? Thanks..chuck
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum! https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-retrieve-trouble-codes-obdi-10907/ - this link will help you to read codes
Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Proud Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well i am having the same problem with my 91, every time i start it when it has been sitting over night it takes me like 5 minutes to start it up again, because i am also hearing a clicking sound under the hood, which i can not figure it out and i am getting so mad at it
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cheecks
well i am having the same problem with my 91, every time i start it when it has been sitting over night it takes me like 5 minutes to start it up again, because i am also hearing a clicking sound under the hood, which i can not figure it out and i am getting so mad at it
Have you measured fuel presure and pressure dropping down speed ?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have done with the fuel is to depress the schrader valve and I have fuel squirting up to the hood. I dont know what processes other than that to do. I dont have a guage.

I replaced the fuel relay yesterday. At first start the engine tried. Then I noticed with the key on I still had the clicking noise in the fuel relay. Then the engine started. I ran it for a while getting it up to running temp and shut the engine off and restarted and ran good. This morning when I went out to start the engine the same thing happened again. No start.

History: I could start the engine at home. When I went to work the engine would start fine after work. Go home and the next morning the engine would not start without cycling the key 5 to 6 times. The next thing that happened was it wouldnt run while driving (5-10 miles per hour). Finaly, on the way home that night everything cleared up and it ran fine. I then replaced the idle module (the box said it was a bypass solonois) Then engine ran fine for a while and then it started again. I took it to a mechanic and put it on a machine. He said to replace the temp guage, and I believe it was the ECM (a black module that sits on the left side of the vehicle while you are in front of the truck) It is mounted at the top of the firewall. Then he said to disconnect the vac hose goint to the engine and use seafoam (to much carbon in the engine). I did those steps and it has run fine until now. That was about 6 months ago.

I was able to find a code checker yesterday for my vehicle. I will try that next...chuck

Quick Reply: 91 Ford F150---Fuel relay