Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

90 F150 no rear brakes/lock-up as well

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 F150 no rear brakes/lock-up as well

Have a 1990 2wd F-150. ABS light as been on and off for a little bit now. I did all new front brakes- pads/rotors/calipers/hoses and rear shoes looked great. After about a week i had the RABS light come on and the rear brakes felt like they were dragging. After a bit that seemed to go away and fronts only will work- ie front brakes locked up and slid on ice while rear wheels rolled freely.

Put it up on a lift and rear brakes wouldnt stop rear wheels from moving. After messing with it for a bit that rear brakes eventually locked up. the Brake light stays on and the ABS light stays on. The brakes would not realease until i cracked the bleeder on the ABS pump. After that the wheels were free and went back to plain not working again.

Im thinking the RABS unit is clogged. The brake fluid was typical 200K miles truck dirty, maybe when the new fluid was added when bleeding the fronts it loosened up some crap and clogged the abs unit not allowing fluid flow to the rear and not allowing pressure to release when the pump kicks on.

Think this sounds about right? The rear brake bleeders are frozen so i cant bleed through them till i replace the wheel cylinders. I may tryi doing this first to see if i can flush new clean fluid all the way through
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

you have air in the pump. do a full flush & figure out on that truck if you need the computer & power bleeder to finish.

not sure on the '90 for the computer, but the last time i tried to mess with ABS is wasn't gonna be pleasant b/c I needed a computer that could initiate an auto bleed sequence & a power bleeder that could force the air out.

Quick Reply: 90 F150 no rear brakes/lock-up as well