Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

89 F150 Is this ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89 F150 Is this ABS

Is this the ABS brake controller ? If so and I tie the 2 brake lines together with a connector can I do away with the whole thing,wires and all.I realize I probably still have to take the bulb out of the dash. Name:  ABS1_zpsb9ybswyc.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  15.0 KB
Old 02-28-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Yeah, you can bypass it. It's not a real good abs system anyway, more of a limiting valve to help keep the back brakes from locking up. Properly working, they do help with that, but most of them aren't "properly working" after 20 years.
There's some odd sizes to deal with there fitting wise, and your brake lines don't really look like they're going to cooperate with a flaring tool, so you should expect to be installing some new lines (they're about due anyway from the look of them).
Gonna possibly turn into a bit of a headache and you should have another vehicle handy to run to the parts store, possibly a few times.
Have you priced a new unit ? It may be simpler by the time it's said and done. Just a thought. Penetrating oil ahead of time on the lines and fittings would be a good idea.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Is the ABS light on? Is the ABS broke? Just curious as to why?
The following users liked this post:
Hewlettmi (02-26-2021)
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 AM

Yea the ABS light is on and the brakes were grabbing…But I'm doing a resto anyways and replaced all the lines across the back of the axle with new shoes and whl cylinders and parking brake cables.Chris I feel you're right on replacing those lines also and thats probably what I'm gonna have to do.What about the wiring,trace it to where ever it goes or just cut them if I remove the whole damn unit??
Old 02-28-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Try just unplugging it (right at the rabs unit you're looking at). Tape it off real good.
Yes, steel brake lines are so cheap if you're doing the labor, it makes good sense to swap them for new, especially if you're going to be bleeding the whole line anyway.
If your abs and brake light are on together, it could have something to do with fluid level, especially if you were just bleeding something. I think sometimes the sensor (fluid level) in the master can stick when the fluid drops way down and gets filled back up. That lights the 2 lights up.
There's also a control module over behind the glove box somewhere for the rabs. That's where it is on the 90's models anyway.
Just some other stuff to look at.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Thanks Chris,I just needed someone to talk some sense into me,I pulled the old brake lines ran to Advance and $25 later I have enough line from the master cylinder to my new line in the back..I guess I'll do that with the front lines also,when I get to that point..I am going to try to get rid of that unit on the frame...

Quick Reply: 89 F150 Is this ABS