Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

89 F150 5.0 No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 89 F150 5.0 No Start Problem

Recently purchased a 1989 Ford F150 4x4 5.0 engine 5 speed trans.
Problem 1st notice during city driving or highway, engine would begin to miss a little followed by power loss. If accelerator was pushed it would get slight backfire through intake and would try and die. Turn off ignition and restart and the problem would disappear for a short time then would repeat. If you try and give it any throttle at all it would die like it was starved for gas. You could let it sit for awhile and restart and would run normal. The last time it did it before dying completely it started missing, then went into you could not touch throttle without dying, while idle it was extremely rough running like it was on firing on only 3 or 4 cylinder, it finally died completely and now it will not start at all. The second it tries to fire the starter will disengage. It is getting spark from the coil, the fuel pump turns on when the key is turned on, but will not fire. Any thoughts? What woul dprevent from either the injectors to not fire? Ignition control module on distributer? I am at a loss
Old 08-27-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

There are many things that could contribute to your symptoms - fuel filter plugged, cat converter stopped up, MAP sensor problem, TFI problem, PIP problem, cracked distributor cap, etc.
Suggest your best bet would be to get the computer codes read to see whether the computer has already flagged your issue.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely check all of the things stated above. I know someone who has a truck and similar issues and the catalytic converter was clogged up. I would check that first because it's fairly easy. Take the truck for a drive for maybe 20-30 minutes or until it started acting up and look at the cat and see if it's hotter than normal (glowing red etc) and while it's cooled down and you can touch it safely tap on the cat or shake it around and listen for rattling noises. But by the symptoms you are having it sounds like a clogged cat. Another cheap easy possible solution is to replace the fuel filter. It's cheap, easy (if you have the right disconnect tool) and is a part of scheduled maintenance, and they get clogged up regardless over time. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: 89 F150 5.0 No Start Problem