Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

89 f150 4.9 a/c bypass belt

Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb 89 f150 4.9 a/c bypass belt

I'm posting this for informational purposes, because I could never find an answer on any site. My a/c compressor bit the dust, plus there were a couple leaks, and I didn't want to put a bunch of money in this old truck. There is no compressor bypass pulley made for this year at any parts store. All the other years have one available. I removed the compressor, after discharging the system, which had been evacuated and recharged with R134, I believe. The compressor comes off pretty easily, from above (unplug coil wire, 4 bolts and hose connection) From that point, you can remove the black a/c hoses from the other side of the engine, and then tape the coil wire from the compressor to something close by to keep it from flapping around. I assumed that the serpentine belt designed for a 89 built without a/c would fit. It was actually a little too loose, so I bought a couple more, and the 13/16" x 96 5/8" Gates belt was a perfect fit. It put just the right amount of tension on the belt tensioner, and doesn't slip. I hope this helps someone.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I've answered this question many times. There is no a/c bypass pulley because you don't need one, you just use the non a/c belt. 970K6.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The belt size

The belt size to bypass the ac compressor is a 960k6 i just sat at advanced and figured it out by going thru the sizes 970k6 is the stock size and the 968k6 was too long the 960k6 is perfect fit just have to take the ac compressor off to keep it from eating the belt
Old 04-10-2022, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by billball
I'm posting this for informational purposes, because I could never find an answer on any site. My a/c compressor bit the dust, plus there were a couple leaks, and I didn't want to put a bunch of money in this old truck. There is no compressor bypass pulley made for this year at any parts store. All the other years have one available. I removed the compressor, after discharging the system, which had been evacuated and recharged with R134, I believe. The compressor comes off pretty easily, from above (unplug coil wire, 4 bolts and hose connection) From that point, you can remove the black a/c hoses from the other side of the engine, and then tape the coil wire from the compressor to something close by to keep it from flapping around. I assumed that the serpentine belt designed for a 89 built without a/c would fit. It was actually a little too loose, so I bought a couple more, and the 13/16" x 96 5/8" Gates belt was a perfect fit. It put just the right amount of tension on the belt tensioner, and doesn't slip. I hope this helps someone.
wish I found this before buying the bypass belt!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 f150 4.9 a/c bypass belt