Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

89 4.9L Ignition/wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 4.9L Ignition/wiring issues

Hey guys/ persons,
Bought an 89 5.0L F150 with a fresh longblock for $750. Good deal right?
Well it had a broken pewter part in the column causing the Ignition tumbler not to work. 10 bucks and a little work and that is fixed. Motor turns over but no fire. Wont hit a lick however all light come on and everything works except the ignition. Checked and no voltage to the distributor or coil. Got 12v at the ignition switch, Red/Lt Grn wire, however cannot find the EEC power relay to check if it is making it there. Where it be?
BTW another problem. The previous owner had a son that had some buddies that were going to fix this thing. It had a K9 model#six alarm installed and it kept setting off the siren so they took it off. They drove it off and pulled it back. They are not available to tell me where it was installed or what they unhooked. I suspect if I find where this box was installed I will find the open circuit however I have been all over the wiring harness and cant see anything that looks cut or even the connector that plugged into the K9. I need some guidance on where to look. I am savy to a VOM and understand 12V. Idea, can I just run another wire from the IGN switch to the EEC and be done with these trubs?
CoonDoggy
Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the idea of running a new wire is the way I would go. I hate (probably because I don't really understand ) alarms. Seams they are more headache than they are worth.
$750 ? You stole that. Lol!

Quick Reply: 89 4.9L Ignition/wiring issues