Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

88 Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Quackhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 88 Power steering

88 F150, power stearing gear box, it's pouring fluid out the bottom. Is this just the seal, or will I need to replace the whole unit?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Suggest it's likely the seal. Suppose there is the possibility of a cracked housing.

With the age and suspected related miles, you may want to consider getting a new gearbox as opposed to trying to replace the seal, especially if you have a wandering or looseness in your steering.

I tried to replace the seal in a Jeep PS unit - ended up buying a new gearbox - which tells you how successful I was :-)
Old 07-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Quackhead

Believe it or not, she's only got 119,000 on it. I got a mechanic by my house that said he can replace the seal in 45 mins, $65 parts and labor, so I'm gonna give that a shot before the whole box. I figure $65 vs $160 plus labor for a new box it's worth a shot.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Sounds like a plan - although I would like to see the 45-minute part of the deal. Heck, I barely have the pre-job beers done in 45 :-)
Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I've done steering box seals before, it's not too bad. The hardest part is removing the pitman arm, but with the right tool that is easy also.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Quackhead

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
I've done steering box seals before, it's not too bad. The hardest part is removing the pitman arm, but with the right tool that is easy also.
Dropped the truck off at 8 this morning, got a call at 10:00, was thinking great it's done...WRONG! Can't get the pitman arm off, tried a lil heat and still won't budge. Tomorrow morning, he is goanna pull the whole gear box out . Said he will be able to get the arm off then. For some reason I am expecting a call tomorrow morning to tell me I need to replace the box and arm. Man I hope not though.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey WDE, haven't seen to much of you lately, guess the challenges have been pretty slow. Liked your pre-job requirment. Too bad we can't pop-a-top sometime. I call it, time our for a service manual.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 07-21-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Drakebuster
Dropped the truck off at 8 this morning, got a call at 10:00, was thinking great it's done...WRONG! Can't get the pitman arm off, tried a lil heat and still won't budge. Tomorrow morning, he is goanna pull the whole gear box out . Said he will be able to get the arm off then. For some reason I am expecting a call tomorrow morning to tell me I need to replace the box and arm. Man I hope not though.
I guess they all can't be as easy as mine. What kind of tool is he using? Maybe he can't get the proper one on. I had to remove the box to get the puller on the pitman arm, so that is probably what he is doing. He shouldn't have a problem after that. Be optimistic.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM

As Sean said - it helps tremendously to have the right tool - a dedicated rigid Pitman arm puller, without the adjustable arms that always pop off at the wrong moment, like on the standard wheel and hub pullers.

Without knowing the experience level of the mechanic enlisted - would be concerned about heat travelling up the shaft and cooking the fluid or other internals. Also, with the struggle thus far, I would be interested to know the amount of beating, banging, and torquing inflicted.

Bill - my recent AWOL was due to having to keep the day job, which landed me in Quebec for a couple of weeks. Going to be travelling back and forth through September - although I hopes to gain access to the Internet for the next go-round, so's I can keep up with this Forum - lots of great information shared around to file for future reference whenever I bites the bullet and upgrade.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Quackhead

I'm hoping that it is just that he can't get it on without pulling the box. As far as how much its been beat on, I looked at it today when I went by there to lock up my toolbox (it was supposed to be a quick fix) I climbed under the front, but it didn't look bad. Looks may not be evrything though. I can tell he tried cause it is all clean under there now, and I could see where he had the nut off already. I just keep hoping for the best ya know.

Wde, I'd consider coming down by you, but kinda a far trip with stopping to pour PS fluid in every 20 miles.

Quick Reply: 88 Power steering