Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

88 F150 XLT 5.0 AoD

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 F150 XLT 5.0 AoD

ok guys first off im new member to the site, but have been following the site for some time getting info and idea's and such, But i have a few questions i would like to ask.

1. I have a 88 f150 swb standard cab pick up it has the bench seat i really like the seats in the 95-94 trucks and was wondering would those fit in my truck? they have bucket seats and the center console in the seat witch i would like to have as mine doesnt.

2. I recently cleaned my throttle body and iac valve i took the throttle body off of the intake manifold to do it, but now my truck seems to run better but yet it isnt, seems like my truck is shifting up shifting down like it doesnt know what gear to go in mainly when im moving around 45mph steadily, Also the truck acts like it wants to stall out somtimes and the idle is higher than what it was befor i cleaned the throttle body, i did check make sure all is plugged in and installed correctly and i did reset the computer 15min negative battery cable unplugged still nothing?

3. i ran the self check on my truck with jumper wire but after it identifies the motor as a 8cylinder it doesnt show any codes ? i have drove atlest 50miles sence resetting it.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

80 to 96 is the same basic cab. A little fooling around because you don't have the bucket seat mounts, but the newer ones should fit.
Sounds like a possible vacuum leak ?
Run the codes again.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Well the problem didnt start till after i cleaned the throttle body and iac befor it ran fine but idle was little rough reason i cleaned it but now i have this new problem? i cant find any vaccum leaks i do have some of the plastic lines that go to the canisters they are unhooked but i do not feel them sucking air? also if i unplug iac there is no difference? same with egr
Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

If you removed the TPS it may not have been reinstalled correctly, if you didn't remove it then it may need to be replaced, check voltage to be sure (.9-.97 closed throttle). If you have lines unplugged a major loss of suction will result because all of the lines use the same tree on the manifold, air always takes the path of least resistance, so instead of creating a vacuum the suction just creates a steady influx of air. Either cap them off or plug them back into the canisters and ensure there are no leaks in the canisters, if so clean the area up and apply some RTV silicone or JB Weld or something similar to allow them to hold vacuum.

Also try running the KOEO test, after warming up the engine, you will at least get a couple "all good" codes if nothing is wrong.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:58 PM

well im not sure where everything goes for the canisters all of them were unhooked and im sure im missing stuff just do not know what ill snap some pics of what my motor looks like but from pics ive seen looks like im missing alot of stuff i have looked at diagrams on google but i dont understand what im looking at really either lol
Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM

these hoses i plugged them in and am not sure if they are going where there supposed to?

there is a connector with green wires that is disconnected but i see nothing it goes to?

black tube it cut too short to plug into the round canister with the red tube

you can see here round canisters unhooked
Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM

These are better pics

this is on throttle body it is 2 hoses connected together and capped off?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ammw999
well im not sure where everything goes for the canisters all of them were unhooked and im sure im missing stuff just do not know what ill snap some pics of what my motor looks like but from pics ive seen looks like im missing alot of stuff i have looked at diagrams on google but i dont understand what im looking at really either lol
Canister without the hose is a smog canister.. not too big of a deal without hose.. maybe draw some arrows pointing at other things you see
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

The one's on the TB are just the TB lines that connect to the cooling system, not a big deal if you live in a warmer climate, they just help warm the TB up.

You should also replace that black hose that isn't connected to anything and get it to reach the coffee can.

Looks like someone went all crack head with the wiring, and is the throttle control duct taped to the cruise?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:15 AM

Yeah I duck taped the throttle vlcable cause the cruise control felt loose, far as wiring yes its a mess but I have no idea how fix it maybe new harness? But do you guy's see the connector where the test connector and all plugs are it isn't hooked to anything but I see nothing for it to connect to?

Last edited by ammw999; 12-19-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 88 F150 XLT 5.0 AoD