Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

88 clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 clutch replacement

Hi all, I've been looking at investing in an 88 f150 for a woods truck. The one I'm looking at is a standard 5.0 302, but it needs a new clutch. How much work would it be to rebuild/replace, and how much might it cost to find a new one, or buy a rebuild kit for it if possible. Thanks everyone,
Kyle
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM
BLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new clutch is middle of the road difficult. You'll have to pull the transmission and flywheel to do it. How long depends on your skill level I guess. An all day job plus machine work time. (You've got to have the flywheel re-surfaced) Cost is gonna be somewhere between $125 and $250 for the parts. Plus machine shop cost. $30 bucks there maybe. All in all it's not too bad.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Its an easy job, just nuts and bolts and big pieces. I would suggest a trans jack, for removing and replacing. That freaking T18 weighs a ton. I hoisted one in a jeep by hand when I was younger but wouldn't attempt that now.

When I did mine I replaced pilot bearing and the rear main seal too as long as I was there, got the flywheel resurfaced. Another trick I learned was when going back in get 2 real long bolts for the top 2 holes on the bell housing, cut the heads off the bolts and use them for guide pins when trying to stab the shaft in the pilot. I also had a buddy help me to put it in, it helps to have another set of hands and eyes. Another thing is the silly tranny jack will have a crappy chain to hold the trans in position, ditch it and use a rachet strap or 2. Good Luck

Last edited by 5Rangers; 03-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 88 clutch replacement