Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Pre-1997 F150 > 1987 - 1996 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read StoreVendor Directory

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 88 clutch replacement

Hi all, I've been looking at investing in an 88 f150 for a woods truck. The one I'm looking at is a standard 5.0 302, but it needs a new clutch. How much work would it be to rebuild/replace, and how much might it cost to find a new one, or buy a rebuild kit for it if possible. Thanks everyone,
Kyle
Kyle_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
BLS

A new clutch is middle of the road difficult. You'll have to pull the transmission and flywheel to do it. How long depends on your skill level I guess. An all day job plus machine work time. (You've got to have the flywheel re-surfaced) Cost is gonna be somewhere between $125 and $250 for the parts. Plus machine shop cost. $30 bucks there maybe. All in all it's not too bad.
3.06 Non-LS
"Mater"
BLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Its an easy job, just nuts and bolts and big pieces. I would suggest a trans jack, for removing and replacing. That freaking T18 weighs a ton. I hoisted one in a jeep by hand when I was younger but wouldn't attempt that now.

When I did mine I replaced pilot bearing and the rear main seal too as long as I was there, got the flywheel resurfaced. Another trick I learned was when going back in get 2 real long bolts for the top 2 holes on the bell housing, cut the heads off the bolts and use them for guide pins when trying to stab the shaft in the pilot. I also had a buddy help me to put it in, it helps to have another set of hands and eyes. Another thing is the silly tranny jack will have a crappy chain to hold the trans in position, ditch it and use a rachet strap or 2. Good Luck

Click the image to open in full size.
November 2011 TOTM Winner, 88 1/2 ton swb 4.9 4spd man 4wd 3.55 gears, Rear Aussie Locker,Pro Gold 11" Luk clutch, 4" Rancho Lift, 2" body lift, 35" Maxxis Bighorns on Ultra Wheels, Rocksolid front Winch Bumper, 10k Engo Winch, 2.5 exhaust, Magnaflow muffler, 38 gallon Spectra rear tank, Bushwacker Flares, Warn premium hubs, FSB Transfer case skidplate, Knuckle under mod, 3G 160a Alternator mod.

Last edited by 5Rangers; 03-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.
5Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Tags
1988, clutch, replacement