Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

87 F150 5.8 dual tanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 F150 5.8 dual tanks

Hi all,
I want to thank everyone that helps others out on this site. You guys are best.

Anyway, here is my issue. I have dual tanks and I noticed that although my rear tank seems to empty VERY quickly, the gauge works. The front tank is another story. I felt around the top of the tank and found that there were no wires connected to the tank. There is also a hose connected to a plastic fitting on the gas tank and the other end is not connected to anything. There looks to be a metal line fastened to the frame that it could connect to, but the hose looks pretty rough and the metal line also looks pretty rough along the frame rail so I'm not sure about reattaching it just yet. Is this metal line the return line? I followed it and it comes from the front end of the truck and splits to the 2 tanks. I was able to find 2 wires that I'm guessing would attach to a plastic connector that then fits onto the tank. If I somehow attach these 2 wires to the "prongs" on top of the tank, should that control the fuel gauge? Do they sell the the plastic connector that attaches the wires to the tank?

One more thing and this may be stupid, but forgive my ignorance. I think I read somewhere that since my truck has a carburetor, I do not have an electric fuel pump (or pumps). Does that mean that the manual pump attached to the engine is the only pump or am I completely wrong and have electric pumps inside each tank? I just replaced the fuel pump in my regal and it cost almost $300 for the unit alone at auto zone so I was hoping that I wouldn't be looking at that again.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Last edited by mfraumeni; 04-19-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: posted without accurate info

Quick Reply: 87 F150 5.8 dual tanks