Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'87 5.0 liter won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 5.0 liter won't start

Have an '87 5.0 liter (2wd-auto) that's died on me. This winter, it started to idle fast and wouldn't kick down, even after driving for an hour. Replaced the engine coolant temp sensor (which had been replaced previously) but didn't help. Noticed that a couple of the vacuum lines were mushy --- gasoline saturated. Replaced those and it ran for a time, then wouldn't start at all. Also, it would hesitate to downshift when you let off the gas.

Checking other posts here, it appeared there may have been a vacuum leak around the intake manifold gasket. So popped off upper and there was clearly a spot that had been leaking. Put it back together but still won't start. I could start replacing sensors but don't want to stick much more money into it.

FYI, I replaced the timing gear and chain about a year ago and put a new coil, spark plug wires and distributor in at that time as well. Any help you can give me to keep it on the road would be great. Otherwise, it may be headed for the scrap yard!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this been solved?

Have you checked for codes?

Quick Reply: '87 5.0 liter won't start