Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

6000k HID Kit Install.. HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 6000k HID Kit Install.. HELP.

So, I love the look of a 6000k headlight, with the bright light output and the slight blue tint. However, some argue that you have to have a "projector headlight lens", or else the only thing that these fancy bulbs will do is blind oncoming traffic. Will OEM assemblies work, or crystal clear lenses, or is there an actual "projector headlight lens"? Please help! Much appreciated!
Old 11-30-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6000k HID Kit Install.. HELP.-image-470324600.jpg

I have them with my same lenses
Old 11-30-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by gdwinfield
I have them with my same lenses
So those are factory lenses? Does your light project properly?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:15 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

You will dazzle oncoming traffic without projectors, it also scatters your light so it doesn't seem as bright behind the wheel. Not only is it illegal to have HID without projectors it is super dangerous for oncoming traffic. One of my friends tried to go without projectors and he literally blinds traffic that is coming at him, people constantly flashing their high beams, it doesn't light up anything like mine, and he made it about 2 weeks before getting pulled over by a pissed off cop.

So basically, illegal and a douche bag way to do it.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
You will dazzle oncoming traffic without projectors, it also scatters your light so it doesn't seem as bright behind the wheel. Not only is it illegal to have HID without projectors it is super dangerous for oncoming traffic. One of my friends tried to go without projectors and he literally blinds traffic that is coming at him, people constantly flashing their high beams, it doesn't light up anything like mine, and he made it about 2 weeks before getting pulled over by a pissed off cop. So basically, illegal and a douche bag way to do it.
Can you buy a stock looking lens that project HIDs properly?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

subscribing cause I was looking into this as well. I had to change my headlights when I got my used truck, they were completely yellow and barely any light coming out so I just got basic replacement cheap ebay ones that is mostly plastic inside. And broke one of the adjusting things so gonna look for good proper ones next year.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure if you have to have them or not, my truck has the brick nose front end I never seen projectors for my model, I'm from Texas there not really strict on headlights but you only going with 6k lights which really aren't that bright just a little over factory
Old 11-30-2015, 02:03 PM

The use of HID bulbs should ALWAYS be accompanied by a projector housing. Someone already mentioned that it is illegal in a lot of places to use HIDs, without having the proper set up. The reason being that HID bulbs are much brighter and stronger than the regular bulbs that come factory in out trucks. Because of this, the light produced has to be "cut off" by the use of a projector. Proper projectors will cut off the vertical output if the HIDs, with a clean, clear "cut" horizontal line. This keeps the light below the eyes of oncoming traffic. I attached a picture showing the difference between the reflector housing and the projectors.

If you ever see a car (using HIDs, and Projectors) coming toward you at night, and they hit a bump or something, it will look like you are getting flashed by their high beams. These are actually the low beam HIDs. The cut off line from the projector was able to bounce up above where you are sitting, so you got the whole intensity of the light emitted from the HID.

So yes, you should ALWAYS use a projector with HIDs. If you do not use the projectors, you will very likely be pulled over, and flashed from other drivers. There are many different ways to go about it. There are aftermarket headlights that are built with projectors, for our 92-96 trucks. Otherwise, if you are seeking the stock headlight look, you will have to retrofit a Projector into the stock headlight housing.

Any other questions regarding HIDs, fire away.
Vette117
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vette117
The use of HID bulbs should ALWAYS be accompanied by a projector housing. Someone already mentioned that it is illegal in a lot of places to use HIDs, without having the proper set up. The reason being that HID bulbs are much brighter and stronger than the regular bulbs that come factory in out trucks. Because of this, the light produced has to be "cut off" by the use of a projector. Proper projectors will cut off the vertical output if the HIDs, with a clean, clear "cut" horizontal line. This keeps the light below the eyes of oncoming traffic. I attached a picture showing the difference between the reflector housing and the projectors. If you ever see a car (using HIDs, and Projectors) coming toward you at night, and they hit a bump or something, it will look like you are getting flashed by their high beams. These are actually the low beam HIDs. The cut off line from the projector was able to bounce up above where you are sitting, so you got the whole intensity of the light emitted from the HID. So yes, you should ALWAYS use a projector with HIDs. If you do not use the projectors, you will very likely be pulled over, and flashed from other drivers. There are many different ways to go about it. There are aftermarket headlights that are built with projectors, for our 92-96 trucks. Otherwise, if you are seeking the stock headlight look, you will have to retrofit a Projector into the stock headlight housing. Any other questions regarding HIDs, fire away. Vette117
How would somebody go about retro-fitting something like that?
Old 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

There are tons of videos online on how to retrofit stock housings

Basically heat up the seal, remove the lens, cut stuff to fit, reseal

Quick Reply: 6000k HID Kit Install.. HELP.