Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

5.8 Oil pan/gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.8 Oil pan/gasket replacement

Ok guys decided there wasn't very good pictures of jacking up the oil pan and blocking for pan/gasket removal and replacement. I have a 1996 F150 2wd 5.8 eddie bauer that the pan was starting to rust out and needed a new water pump and pan/gasket. First I removed the exhaust out of the way. I then unbolted the motor mounts and loosened the rear tranny mount until there were about two threads left on the bolt. I then used a jack and lifted the engine up on the harmonic balancer and put 2x4 blocks underneath the motor mounts. I then proceeded to lift up on the transmission until I could get a 1x2 piece of wood under the transmission mount. I drained my oil in the truck and let the pan set on the cross member. I unbolted the three bolts on the oil pump/suction tube and let drop down in the pan. I then had just enough clearance to get the oil pan ( with the pump/suction tube ) out from under the truck. I removed my harmonic balancer with a puller I bought for $70. << Well worth the investment!!! . I then pulled my timing cover off. I then cleaned up my surfaces and installed a new timing cover after oiling the seal up. I then re-installed my harmonic balancer using the removal tool from earlier. Like I said the puller/installer tool was worth the money! I installed my new pump and a thermostat while I was this far. I have the new pan/ gasket for the truck but I need new pan bolts as 4 were missing on the drivers side. Here is what I have done so far going to try and finish up this weekend and drive the beast again. More pictures to come.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Country Boy

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice writeup with pics... thanks.

Bet it's harder with a 4x4 lol.

Quick Reply: 5.8 Oil pan/gasket replacement