Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

5.0 upper intake removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.0 upper intake removal

I read there is a screw in the middle on a search i did, and someone said use a 1/4" drive torx, but they did not say what size!! I am taking it off to get at the lower intake manifold to replace it. I messed the other one up pretty bad. So, if someone would be so kind to relay this knowledge to me that would be awesome! anything I should know replacing this part? I know I have to take everything from the old one and put it on the newer one. It was 38.02 with warranty at pull a part
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Know of the hidden bolts but don't remember the size. A ton of years back they were just allen head screws. Want to help more but memory won't cooperate.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 AM

The only way i could get in there was with a 1/4 drive socket wrench and some extensions hooked up to a large torx bit. They have them at the parts store pretty cheap. I really dont remeber what size but as soon as i told them what i needed ,he knew what i was talking about. Hope this helps...
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 AM

I found the package the part cam in. It is 1/4" dr. Star Socket T-30
Old 08-16-2009, 02:44 AM

I have heard T40 and T30, so I got both! whenever I find out I will post it!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 PM

it was a 5/16-18 T40. I replaced it with a 5/16-18 screw. Because I lost the Torx one. its all put back together, just got to put antifreeze and water and the hoses back on and time it! So getting closer!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:02 PM

Yoo! I come to this forum for help & it is very handy i can rebuild gas engine's but not knowing to much about fuel injection & replacing injector's makes it hard from the old days so now i know a lot about it air flow, sensuous etc. Simple peace of cake. Now i found an easy way to get the hard bolt out in the middle inside the manifold today. Just got done the bolt is called a torx srcew bolt that almost looks like an allen head. Well it was full dirt,oil crap so used a wire brush back & forth cleaned it real good. Ah i could see it then put a drop light from the back of manifold i could see out the front real good & nothing in the way. I didn't even know the name of this bolt until i came to this page in the morning now i'm returning the help. There is no room for a socket wrench up & down because of the way manifold is molded. I even grind down a 1/4 swivel on the side so it would be perfect 45 angel nope no room almost so i went to nearest auto store which was 0'reilly part's. Thier it was hanging near al the wrenches!!! Ahhh yes a long arm hex key t-40 that"s the bolt size for a $ 90 cent's i couldn't believe it. Next to that were 9 of them from t-10 to t-50 for only $ 7 dollars. I got home fast slid my hand under the manifold from the passenger side of manifold & my other hand from the front i took of the throttle valve only 2 screws didn't even unhook wire to it just left it hanging there. Put the long arm in and it turn lose 2 1/2 small turns then used my 2 middle fingers turn out. I jumped up & down the drive way so happy yelling in joy. My neighbors where staring at me. I laughed even harder. I tried everything on this page & 20 others it wouldn't work 1/4 this that socket put this in that no way because of the mold had lines inside when it was made no room.anyway i thought i would just give back something to this page i had a weird mold from factory. Even so thier is no better than this way. I am not in no way putting this type of blot back. I'm gonna use a rugular bolt i can use a box end even if i have to shave the box a little. I know for a fact anyone who try's this way will be jumping to. I always give back. Even if i go water ski at lake massicupic i pickup papers & bottles at the ramp & beach & say thanks lake for all the fun & thanks to all here on this page & others for the time & effort to help us all the legend of lowell mass paul knows all ha ha . Again thanks to all!!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM

Default Found it!

New guy, 1st time posting/replying

Came here looking for how to remove the upper manifold of a '93 F-150 5.0. Found out it was a torque bolt and that mine was a T-30. Had to do some rigging with a driver and a long bit, but found it and got it off. I have come to feel, during this rebuild job, that someone should hunt down the designer, that Ford used for this truck, and punch him/her square in the nose.

Thanks everyone for your help. Will definitely be back.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

It's T40.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

If you don't have an extended bit, this shows how to get a standard (stubby 3/8"-drive) bit in there:

(phone app link)

If the plenum is still off, use this technique:

(phone app link)
Old 07-10-2022, 08:35 PM

Default Hex top upper plenum

Someone put a hex top bolt into the crevice on the center of the upper plenum of my 1994 Ford F150 5.0 302 engine.
I need supposedly a 1/2-inch socket for a 1/4-inch drive to remove it. Ordered several and none will fit in there.
How do I get it out to remove that upper plenum?

Quick Reply: 5.0 upper intake removal