Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4x4 wont disengage when i put it back in to 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Proud Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 4x4 wont disengage when i put it back in to 2wd

ok this has been happening since i got the truck form a handy down form my brother, and when he drove it, and himself, put it in neutral and slamed it into drive to do a burn out, now i dont know if this will effetc the 4x4 but for me to get it dis engaged form 4x4 i have to put it in reverse and back up for a couple feet than into drive again and that will disengage it for me, now i got under her a few weeks ago, and i found out my front drive shaft for the 4x4 is fkn loose, like you can grab it and twist it for a few inches or so, and i have no idea on what that means, like new u joints or something, if i can get some help from this i would gladly appreciate it
Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Can't re member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have auto locking hubs,they are supposed to unlock when you
shift into 2wd and back up about 10 feet.

With your driveshaft,are you turning it while it is in 4wd? If the u-joints
are bad you will have slack when you wiggle it up and down,or side to side.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Proud Owner

ok i dont have auto locking hubs, i got manual locking hubs, and only in front not in back, and for the driveshaft no it is not in 4wd when i move it, and when i do move it i can hear a clunking sound while i am doing that
Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Doing a burnout like that, while dumb, should only affect the transmission and the rear driveaxle/rearend, unless he was in 4x4.

As far as driving in reverse to disengage the hubs, that's correct that auto hubs you are supposed to reverse about 10 feet to disengage. Manual hubs, while I don't think that you should HAVE to do that, if you found something that works, just stick with it. Why spend the money to replace them?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Proud Owner

but what about my driveshaft for the 4x4 its loose and its squealing really bad which i did not mention

Quick Reply: 4x4 wont disengage when i put it back in to 2wd