Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4 wheel drive question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive question

when I shift into 4 wheel drive my fronts dont turn... any suggestions? I drive a 1994 150 with the heavy duty transmission.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Is it push button or shift lever transfer case? Auto or manual locking hubs? Does the front driveshaft spin but the wheels won't lock in or does it not spin either?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Default Hubs

It has auto hubs. My understanding is that I am suppose to have the truck in either neutral or park when shifting into 4 wheel drive. The lights come on in the dash and the driveline turns. The hubs themselves are not locking.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm not familiar with the auto hub system on Fords but I'm sure someone else is.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auto hubs are trashed, they are supposed to turn slightly and then catch the internal mechanisms tend to break if they are subjected to anything other than idle speed before engaging. Your best bet is to replace them with the kit and switch to true manual hubs.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There have been some threads on this topic and from what I remember of them, there could be a couple of reasons why the auto hubs are not engaging. If they are vacuum actuated, then there could be a problem with the vacuum lines. If they are electrically actuated, then there could be a problem with the wiring. Run a search using the search button near the top of the page and you may find the answer you are looking for.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mitchalvin
The auto hubs are trashed, they are supposed to turn slightly and then catch the internal mechanisms tend to break if they are subjected to anything other than idle speed before engaging. Your best bet is to replace them with the kit and switch to true manual hubs.
See thread https://www.f150forum.com/f10/converting-auto-manual-hubs-a1996-f150-17063/ about replacing hubs. As mitchalvin says replace the auto hubs.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 PM
King92

Originally Posted by catalinathunder
when I shift into 4 wheel drive my fronts dont turn... any suggestions? I drive a 1994 150 with the heavy duty transmission.

Thanks,
Robert
If they are auto hubs they are convient but tend to wear out.
How many miles? Any known history?
If you plan on puting any stress on your hubs, you are better off going to manual hubs.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dewman
There have been some threads on this topic and from what I remember of them, there could be a couple of reasons why the auto hubs are not engaging. If they are vacuum actuated, then there could be a problem with the vacuum lines. If they are electrically actuated, then there could be a problem with the wiring. Run a search using the search button near the top of the page and you may find the answer you are looking for.

Good luck!
All the automatic hubs for these years are mechanical, the electrical and vacuum are not until after the body change. When you try to rock a your truck the hubs will unlock and re lock whenever you change direction so unless you idle until the hubs lock the small sprags inside the hub will break when the axle lock against the stationary hub wheel assembly. The auto hubs tend to cost more to replace than what is takes to convert to manual hubs.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:19 AM
GP Rider

Originally Posted by mitchalvin
+1 go manual

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive question