Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4.9L distributor questions

Old 07-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9L distributor questions

My 1995 F150 with a 4.9L, fuel injection, has been suddenly stopping on me. It is like someone just reaches over and turns off the key. Sometimes it starts right away, and sometimes it starts only after being towed to a repair shop.

One time at the repair shop many things were replaced, (plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, distributor cap, distributor rotor) without being able to isolate the cause of the sudden stopping. The second time at the repair shop, they drove it for a week trying to catch it stopping, it never did.

I have confirmed the fuel pump starts up when it dies, I can hear it pressurizing the system with the key in the run position.

I went to replace the ignition control module this afternoon. After referring to my Chilton's manual I purchased an ignition control module from the Ford dealer. To my surprise the distributor on my truck does not match the pictures in the Chilton manual for either the fuel injected version or the carburator version. It does not appear to have an ignition control module anywhere mounted on the distributor body!!! The wiring around the distributor looks undisturbed, so I don't think an aftermarket distributor has been previously installed. I am puzzled on how to identify exactly what I have.

Other then going to the dealership, is there any way from the VIN to determine exactly what engine this truck was originally built with?

Any assistance or suggestions on the sudden stalling or distributor identification would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:35 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The ignition module on your truck is on the inner fender. The auto parts store can test it before you buy a new one. This would be my first guess for this problem. I'm sure that your truck came with the 4.9, changing to a different fuel injected motor would require changing the wiring harness and I don't know who would bother with this just to put in a 4.9.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update from the dealer

I took my 1995 F-150 to the Ford dealer to see if they could pin point the mystery stopping problem. They discovered some codes in the computer that indicated the pick up in the distributor. I hope this solves the problem, I will need to drive the truck a month or two to see if the intermittent stopping is solved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.9L distributor questions