Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4.9 Straight 6 Oil Pumps and Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9 Straight 6 Oil Pumps and Gasket Replacement

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to these forums. I've always been doing research here for repairs and wanted to ask a question that doesn't seem to be covered in my searches. I'm driving a '91 F150 XLT Lariat w/ a 4.9L Inline 6 300ci. This trucks been in my family since it was bought new off the lot. I've had it since I was 17 and I've always been working on it and restoring the best I can. The trucks odometer has reset at least once or twice now, almost on it's second or third reset. She purrs like a kitten. However, I've got a oil pan gasket that is split and leaking in the front. I plan to lift the engine up, unbolt the pan and pull it out so I can do an extensive clean and evaluation. I figure since I'm already at it, I'll just replace the oil pump and screen too, that way I don't have to worry about it in the future. It's got semi-low pressure now (reading off of the stock gauge, don't have a mechanical) and I figure that's because of the leak. Question is: The store recommends to purchase an oil pump shaft as well to put on the pump; So should I also replace the shaft and if so, how?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by TheBadSax; 11-05-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went ahead and ordered the shaft with everything else. Reason I was asking this is because I haven't seen anyone mentioning doing it when they replace the oil pump. Can anyone tell me how to remove the shaft?
Old 11-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

cant help with your actual question about the shaft...but be aware the dash gauge is very inaccurate, and basically only means the truck has pressure. if you replaced the sending unit for the gauge it would likely read in a different place.
its never a bad idea to replace the pump/screen but you may be replacing the pump on a tired motor.

Quick Reply: 4.9 Straight 6 Oil Pumps and Gasket Replacement