Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

3rd clutch slave cylinder gone bad in 40k miles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
CNW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd clutch slave cylinder gone bad in 40k miles!

I have a 94 F-150 (reg. cab, long box, 302, 4x4) with the M5OD-R2 transmission. It has a hydraulic clutch setup with a concentric slave cylinder that requires removal of the transmission to replace. I bought this truck as-is two years ago with 120k on it. The car dealer I bought it from informed me of some new parts on the truck which included a new clutch and slave cylinder. Well within two weeks of me having the truck the slave cylinder had completely gone out. So i took the truck to a local garage where they replaced the slave cylinder but after about 6 months or so it went out again. I was unimpressed with my first choice of mechanics so this time i paid a little more money and went to a shop that i had heard was much better. This time i had the clutch done as well as the slave cylinder. The mechanic who worked on it told me the repair should last for about the life of the truck but now at 160k (only 40K since my first problem! ) it has gone out again. I live in Michigan and the only theory I've heard is that these slave cylinders can crack/break in the cold and fail. Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated this has been a good truck overall and i really have to figure out what is causing this. I can't keep dropping 7 or 8 hundred $ a year on this. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What type of fluid are you using?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM
CNW

im using STP DOT 3 brake fluid
Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Are they leaking or just not working?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM
CNW

they have all started out leaking and eventually failed entirely
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I wouldn't think just the cold would make them fail.Where are you getting them? If they are aftemarket you might go with a oem slave to see if that helps.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM
CNW

The slave cylinders themselves have been ordered by the shops that have worked on the truck. the last place said they get their stuff from napa.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 AM

I have been in the same boat, all though not as bad since I've done the work myself.

October 09 my original slave died in my 96. I replaced it and the replacement died in August 10. I replaced the replacement under warrantee and the 2nd one failed this december. I decided to go ahead and replace all of the clutch components this time, (new clutch master cylinder, new hydraulic line, new slave, and new clutch) all by the same company, which is a different brand than I originally purchased.

Originally I purchased a dorman, and this time I purchased rhino. However, upon inspection they are an identical unit (the rhino box is prettier though.)

Time will tell how I make out, I'm just hoping that the old master was perhaps over pushing the new slaves and by changing everything to new that they will jive together better.

I have a few buddies who are prof mechanics and each are stumped to why I've had these failures as well.

pen
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The fluid is the correct stuff, just got thru putting in a NAPA slave cylinder myself, sure hope the issue isn't contageous. Good luck, and keep us posted with the resolve.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 PM
CNW

thanks everybody for the feedback. It looks like my truck will be going in this week for another try at this. I could do it myself however i have at least a foot of snow here (and more coming all the time), its usually in the twenties or so, and i have no garage. so doing it in the driveway would be pretty brutal. plus i work 50 to 60 hours a week. so not really enough time for it either. i think im gonna have the master cylinder, line, slave cylinder, and clutch replaced. preferably all the same brand and definitely not the brand that has been going on there. I'll keep posting my progress (or lack thereof). Any suggestions on different brands for the slave cylinder would be helpful too. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 3rd clutch slave cylinder gone bad in 40k miles!