Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

302 headers long tube vs short tube?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 302 headers long tube vs short tube?

I just put my new 3'' flowmaster dualforce cat back ehaust on my truck, looking to upgrade the headers now whats the difference between long tube and shorty headers, performance and sound quality is favoured if the price difference is not huge.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorties drop right in, but won't give the perf boost you're after.

Long tubes give you the extra grunt, but you'll need to have a new y-pipe installed to fit between those and your cat, or even go with a new hi-flo cat.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 PM

Thanx for the quick reply, who sells these y pipes for the f150, which brands are available does flowmaster make one how about flowmaster headers, never heard of high flo cats who sells those? , and what kind of money am I looking at ?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 AM

i have flowtec long tube headers and there great and sound good to ..long tube headers are the way to go shorty's are a waste of money there just glamerfied manifolds
Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 AM

Long tube headers where do they connect up to? the y pipe or the cats.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:45 AM

The long tubes will add a few hp but hurt low end torque a little.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by green944x4
The long tubes will add a few hp but hurt low end torque a little.
how do you figure that? the shorter your tubes the more horsepower the longer the more torque, just like your intake manifold!

but i also agree long tubes are the way to go, especially on a truck. you'd be watseing your money with shorties. If you go long tubes your going to have to go to an exhaust shop and have them make you a y-pipe that connects to your cats. you don't have to change to high flow cats but like the name implies, they do free up some flow and are worth a few. no one sells a y-pipe for long tubes for our trucks that i've ever been aware of.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:26 PM

My set up was gonna be a basanni Y pipe with long tube headers, my 3'' flowmaster cat back is already installed, just a little confused to as where the long tubes would connect and if this set up would be good, might as well go all the way now and do the intake as well.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your long tubes will come back on both sides of the motor to roughly where the original front cat sits now. You'll need a muffler shop to fab up a Y-pipe to make those meet your cat, or go with a hi-flo cat in place of the 2 factory ones. That would give you a little more room to work in the Y-pipe between the headers and cat.

A lot of guys will run them straight back with a cat on each side, and a muffler on each side with straight pipes coming on out the back - that's a lot of extra money, though.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM

yeeeaahh..... I was thinking of sticking with the single side exhaust, now it becomes a question of bassanni y pipe vs long tube headers which way i wanna go long tube no bassani or short headers and bassani y pipe which set up will give me more power, bassani claims there pipe gives you good hp gains.

Quick Reply: 302 headers long tube vs short tube?