Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

300 6 Rough after water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 300 6 Rough after water pump replacement

Just got done replaceing the water pump and thermostat. Took it out yesterday and the truck was running fine. This morning it just does not want to accelerate without jerking and bucking. I would think this is related to me but im not sure. I did remove a bolt below the water pump on the top of the crankshaft pulley somewhere and after realizing I put it back in. Is there something that happened there? It ran pretty good yesterday. A few months ago I cleaned the throttlebody and IAC. Im not sure guys and would like some insight before i start to track this down.

Last edited by YoungDiesel; 04-01-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Assume nothing. It could very well be related to something you did - like knocking the connector loose on the TPS, or breaking a wire or vacuum line.
It could also be totally unrelated so if you can't find anything obvious that got screwed up you'll have to go through the steps - check fuel pressure, test the tps, etc.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:54 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Like chris said, double check everything you touched, pull codes, start eliminating possibilities. Test FP, TPS. Try unplugging IAC (if that fixes it the IAC is shot). Spray plug wires with fine mists of water at night, if you get a light show then it's cross-firing. Test small diameter lines coming off of the intake tree to ensure they hold a vacuum. Double check belt routing and that all of your pulleys are inline....The list could go on for a while but you get the point.

I had an issue with a cel light and 172 code for a few weeks, assumed something had failed and tried tracking it down. After the second week I went back and double checked everything I had done to it in the month or so prior. Turned out that I didn't have a connector for the o2 behind the battery plugged in all of the way and it popped out over time. Not saying it has to be something you did but it very well could be so that's the best place to start, especially if the problem showed itself shortly after a repair.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea I just dumped some HEET in to remove any water in the gas since that was when it started was after i got gas. Then I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and the injectors. I did put the belt on differently but this is the correct way. Then i took it for a highway drive and she cleaned up decent. Still a jerk here or there but I dont believe this to be serious.

Didnt mean to panic, just after repairs if things mess up i like to figure it out quick to be sure.

Quick Reply: 300 6 Rough after water pump replacement