Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 overheating problem HELP!!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 overheating problem HELP!!!!

My 96 f150 is overheating and seems to be leaking from the pump seal or weep hole, but even when hot my top radiator hose has pressusre like the thermostat wont open. i used an old hotrodding trick and removed the thermostat and now it runs cooler but still seems to leak water around the pump. some tell me it could be a blown head gasket others say waterpump, somebody plllzzzz help
Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

If the head gasket has blown, will usually see exhaust issues such as white smoke. Also, the coolant level will drop in proportion to the severity of the leak - however, if the water pump is already leaking, the coolant level should be dropping anyway - so suggest to put the head gasket concerns on hold for a bit until the following things are checked out.

If your water pump is leaking, suggest it's done for, and needs to be replaced.

If you're worried about overpressure - suggest to just replace the radiator cap - they're cheap enough that it's usually not worth the effort to test. Keeping the design pressure - usually 14-16psi - is important, as this raises the boiling point of a 50/50 mix from 227degreesF up to 267degreesF - so that running without the system pressurized is not a good long-term solution.

Also, suggest to inspect the radiator fan clutch. If the fan has any 'wobble' in the fore and aft direction of the vehicle, or if fan continues for one turn or more when you give it a stout spin by hand (engine off, please) - suspect the clutch is done for, and needs to be replaced.

Finally, inspect the radiator for blocked flows - externally for bugs and other crud blocking good airflow, and internally for mineral deposits blocking the coolant flow.

You will want to put a known-good thermostat back in - the engine management system is expecting the motor to be at its target operating temperature for best performance and fuel economy.

After you get the water pump leak stopped, then monitor your coolant level - if it's still dropping - then may suspect a head gasket issue.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
BRONZE FIRE KING RANCH

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question Timing cover gasket replacement

Hello all. Back again and looking for tips on keeping my 96 F-150 on the road. 5.0 auto 2WD..PS, PDB, A/C...
It has alot of miles but still runs good so I want to keep it running. It needs a new water pump and timing cover gasket. Leaking, both.
Any tips on removal of all the stuff.. radiator, fan, serpintine belt and pulleys.. harmonic balancer ..?? or is it just straight forward..
Special tools??
I was thinking that the grill in the front should come off to facilitate a straight shot on the fan, balencer, etc.??
All help and experience appreciated. I plan to tackle this job shortly..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 overheating problem HELP!!!!