Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 f150 w/ straight six will die sporaticly but then start right up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 f150 w/ straight six will die sporaticly but then start right up.

My father has a 1996 f150 w/ a straight six that runs fine, starts fine but every once and a while it will quit but then you can start it right back up. We've had several mechanics look at it we just replaced the brain on it three months ago and still haven't figured it out. I thought someone might of had the same problem and might know whats wrong, thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a loose connection to me... What exactly is happening? Do you have your gauges still working when it stalls? Do a charge lamp and (or) check engine light turn on?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
'96 F150XL 4.9LI6/5sp.

I had the same problem you described. My truck would run great for weeks and suddenly for no apparent reason it would die but always start back up. I had no diagnostic codes showing up on my code reader either. I took it to two local ford dealerships with them telling me nothing was wrong. After analizing everything I thought could be causing this and replacing a few questionable parts, I was at wits end. I found a fellow forum member who had experienced similar problems. They had stated that the "pickup" in their distributor was going bad causing their problems. I replaced the distributor in my truck and have not had a problem since then. Sporadic problems are so hard to diagnose, best of luck to you!!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM

These are really hard issues, even harder if it restarts right away. If you have duel fuel tanks make sure it will die on either tank. When it does die see if the check light comes on or not. This will tell you if the computer is getting power. I would replace the relay to the computer if you don't get a light. Next check the plugs to the coil and Ign modual if yours is a distributor mounted type. Look for bent or green tabs in the conector. You can also take the ign modual to a parts store and they can test it for you. Also check your ground wires to make sure they are making good contact. If these steps dont help I would then rebuild the distributor, replacing the pickup, little half moon shaped electronics. Gripper is probably right on, but the distributor is a bit of a job depending on skill level, my truck has done simular things three time and each time it was a different problem. EEC quick connector, then ign quick connector and finally the EEC relay.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:18 AM

Default thanks.

I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: 1996 f150 w/ straight six will die sporaticly but then start right up.