Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 F150 with spark issues. Help???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Brian K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F150 with spark issues. Help???

First let me say hello, I am a new member to posting but i have been on here plenty searching and reading before now.

I have a 1996 F150 5.0 2wheel drive. This truck has been nothing but great to me until the last 3 or 4 weeks. It started out that I noticed it starting just a little bit harder than normal. I decided to give her plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter and an oil change. The starting issue slowly got worse but only after the engine has warmed up. When its cold or the colder it is out, the better it starts. It is to the point now that after I have it to opperating temperature it's running very rough at idle and on take off. After i get up to speed it smooths out but while accelarating, if I give it more than about half throttle it bogs down.

Also to throw into the mix, every once in a while while at a cruising speed it just shuts down. Like I turned off the switch. Everything still has juice. It'll roll over just fine but doesnt fire. After it sits for 5-20 mintues it starts back up and runs again. Now I have finally figured out when it dies and wont start that their is no spark at the plugs or coming out of the coil. I replaced the coil and no change. I took it into autozone and it gave the code for the crankshaft positioning sensor. So I changed that and it did not help at all.

It doesnt have to die for it to not start either. If I am driving and it gets warmed up, sometimes if I shut it off for just a few minutes and come back it will not start. By the time I get any tools near it to try testing things.... It starts.

I have checked fuel pressure and it's fine while the pump is pressurizing and while running. I have checked each cylinder and compression is very good, especially for the miles on it. Oil pressure is good and while it's running the timing is right on.

I have spent hours online reading trying find something out and everything I have read says control module. but I have never seen one act like this before.

Like I said its been a great truck. I have no complaints. She just rolled 389,000 and change last week and knock on wood nothing major has ever went on it. I take very good care of it and maintain it well. But right now money is tight and I can't afford to pay someone to look at it or fix it. I just starting working again and need my truck to last a while longer. Any thoughts??? thanks a bunch
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm gonna say TFI module is acting up...alotta times they'll get hot and have an internal short.......
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Brian K

Originally Posted by flareside_thunder
I'm gonna say TFI module is acting up...alotta times they'll get hot and have an internal short.......

I know i could be wrong but i didnt think the 96 had the TFI or is it the same thing as the ignition control module?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Pretty much the same thing but different name. Yes, the ICM is what he's referring to.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Brian K

Ok I got a chance this weekend and replaced the ignition control module and it didnt help at all. Still runs rough after it warms up and sometimes stalls and wont start till it cools down some. I am thinking about replacing the whole distributor. My biggest question is this. When the truck does stall and wont restart their is no spark coming from the coil. Could something inside the distributor cause this.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by blk82072
Ok I got a chance this weekend and replaced the ignition control module and it didnt help at all. Still runs rough after it warms up and sometimes stalls and wont start till it cools down some. I am thinking about replacing the whole distributor. My biggest question is this. When the truck does stall and wont restart their is no spark coming from the coil. Could something inside the distributor cause this.
The two ignition sys. items that that tend to be temp sensitive in their twilight years, is the TFI module & the PIP sensor (stator). They interrelate so closely & usually share similar life expectancies that shops many times replace both at the same time to avoid return visits.http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=25

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-08-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

and the PIP is in the distributor.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Brian K

Well Thanks to ya'll for your help. Pulled the distributor this afternoon, swapped out the pick up coil and she's running better than ever. It's funny for a while now i have noticed this odd squeaking noise everytime i turn the radio off. I just though a speaker or the radio was fixin to blow. After swapping out the pick up coil...... No more noise when I turn the radio on or off.
THANKS A BUNCH
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by blk82072
Well Thanks to ya'll for your help. Pulled the distributor this afternoon, swapped out the pick up coil and she's running better than ever. It's funny for a while now i have noticed this odd squeaking noise everytime i turn the radio off. I just though a speaker or the radio was fixin to blow. After swapping out the pick up coil...... No more noise when I turn the radio on or off.
THANKS A BUNCH
That would be the "revsit" I was referring to! No extra charge for fix'in the radio! In retrospect, the radio problem was actually a symptom. a failing TFI woudn't cause that. Dump a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in the gas to celibate! I'd suggest a Seafoam treatment to clear any deposits in the combustion chambers the missing might have resulted in, but I'm not sure how much improvement in performance & drivability you can take at one time (also my commission quota has already been reached this month, so next month would work better for me, but if you can't wait, go ahead)<forum joke-<

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-09-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 with spark issues. Help???