Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 F150 Inline 4.9L head gasket troubles. (Long w big pic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F150 Inline 4.9L head gasket troubles. (Long w big pic)

I started having trouble with my truck overheating. This soon progressed into my tailpipe POURING out white smoke. I figured it was my head gasket, (yay). I’m no mechanic, so tearing my truck down to this point was quite an experience. Anywhoo, got it all torn off and found anti-freeze in one of my cylinders, (pretty sure that isn’t supposed to be there.) So I cleaned my head and engine block really well, installed a new gasket, torqued it like I was supposed to (about 80lbs each), and put everything back together.

After I’d installed the top part of the intake manifold. I couldn’t remember where all the little tubes went. I put it back together the best I could figure, and decided to try and start it.

It will barely start, and when it does, it feels like the timing is off and it’s dumping gas into the engine when it’s not supposed to. I can gun the engine, and it sounds better, but when I let it idle it eventually dies. I think I have something hooked up wrong. I’ve taken a picture and circled everything I think I may’ve hooked up wrong, and was going to see if there is some kind soul that owns a 96 F150 that would be willing to check their engine and see if I’ve got things where they're supposed to go.

On top of that problem, white smoke is still POURING out of my tail pipe. I checked the head for cracks and didn’t see anything. Is there anything else that could be causing this? I'm frustrated, and driving my convertible with a broken top to work is getting really old...

I REALLY appreciate any advice I can get. From now on, I’m keeping a digital camera and taking pics of my engine as I take it apart.

Pic Index.

1.) White tube hooks into a T.
2.) Red that plugs into top of metal junction deal & then goes to fuel rod, (or whatever it is called)
3.) Red that plugs into front of metal junction deal & then goes left and plugs into other hose.
4.) Black elbow plugs into metal junction box & goes to front part of 4 way connector.
5.) Black hose on drivers side. Goes to circled white tube.
6.) Black hose on passengers side. Goes to circled black tube.

Last edited by rdnkjdi; 01-08-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

I know hindsight is 20/20, but you should have taken a before picture.

I will take a picture of mine (it is a 94) and post it here tonight when I get home.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM

I know, next time I will be taking pics throughout the process :'(
Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not only did you forget how the vacuum lines where routed but from the sounds of it you didn't get the head gasket installed correctly. You did do a proper job of cleaning the surfaces the head gasket rests on didn't you, not just scrapping, but using a solvent designed for this job so your metal surfaces where nice and shiney, and you didn't use gasket cement, right?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM

I'm with transmaster, if your blowing white smoke you still have coolant leaking. I hate to say it but you may have to tear it down again
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM

You did do a proper job of cleaning the surfaces the head gasket rests on didn't you, not just scrapping, but using a solvent designed for this job so your metal surfaces where nice and shiney, and you didn't use gasket cement, right?
I did spend alot of time cleaning both surfaces with a razor, and they were both shiney by the time I was done, but I did not use a solvent. I did not use gasket cement, should I?

Originally Posted by TEDA
I'm with transmaster, if your blowing white smoke you still have coolant leaking. I hate to say it but you may have to tear it down again
Well, I bet I'll be faster this time
Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No do not use any gasket cement. I don't know where you got your head gasket but make sure you get one that is of good quality. While you had the head off did you clean the carbon off of he head and piston tops, if not use a bronze brush. If you do the piston crowns be gentle, make sure you rotate the crank so the piston is a top dead center so you don't scratch the bores. and make sure you vacuum out the cylinders before you stick it back togather. This link has the brand of Head gasket I favor.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...T&autoview=sku
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a chiltons or haynes manual, chiltons is better if you can find and afford one. Haynes is cheaper but will give you the basic concept of things. Invest in a marker and some tape for next time around.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:06 PM

Hey, just wanted to post back, (in case anybody ever runs across this thread later) to say that I was able to figure out what the problem was. I took my head back off and got it checked for cracks. Sure enough, there was a hairline crack up by one of the valves. Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend paying the $11.50 to have it checked for cracks if you pull it off

Last edited by rdnkjdi; 02-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!

Did you get all the lines reconnected properly?

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 Inline 4.9L head gasket troubles. (Long w big pic)