Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 F150 5.0 Custom Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1996 F150 5.0 Custom Exhaust Help

Hello all,
New member here, well first I was wondering if 96 f150's only had one cat (the pre cat) and then the resonator after that. I was looking under my truck and thats all I'm seeing.
Secondly I was wondering if I could replace both of those with a magnaflow pre-cat and a magnaflow high flow spun metallic without issues of a CEL. As of now I have a flowmaster 2.5 cat back system with dual outlets and its extremely quiet. I was just looking to get rid of the restrictive factory cat and resonator, make the truck sound nice, deep, and throaty, for a cheap price. Perhaps somebody has some knowledge that could help me here

I'm aware high flow cats run $70-$100 a piece.

Thanks for any help
Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you just want to change the sound, do what the p/o of my truck did. Leave everything factory back to the cat. Cut off the rest. Weld on a small length of pipe with a 12" long cherry bomb and enough pipe after that to go just past the back of the cab to pass inspection. It has a nice deep rumble.

I may run it back to the bumper, though. My 50yr old ears enjoy the peace and quiet.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Great question! I'll be interested to see what is said. I have a 92 with a Flowmaster cat-back system and I have trouble believing that a 24 year-old factory cat is still functioning properly and would be interested to replace it if it won't make the computer go nuts.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by rexter
If you just want to change the sound, do what the p/o of my truck did. Leave everything factory back to the cat. Cut off the rest. Weld on a small length of pipe with a 12" long cherry bomb and enough pipe after that to go just past the back of the cab to pass inspection. It has a nice deep rumble.

I may run it back to the bumper, though. My 50yr old ears enjoy the peace and quiet.
I want to get rid the of the restrictive factory cat and resonator regardless. The flowmaster cat back I have now is way too quiet which doesn't make sense to me. I've thought of glass packs but I'm not a big fan of their sound. Just looking to see if anybody knows if the CEL will come with a high flow cat and possibly a resonator delete
Old 09-01-2016, 12:05 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

As long as you get the correct spun cat for the application it will be fine. Those are carb certified, they do the same job just more affectively in a smaller package. You'll like the sound without the factory cats, they muffle a lot of sound especially if your truck is California emissions compliant.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
As long as you get the correct spun cat for the application it will be fine. Those are carb certified, they do the same job just more affectively in a smaller package. You'll like the sound without the factory cats, they muffle a lot of sound especially if your truck is California emissions compliant.
What do you mean by, "correct spun cat"?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Meaning correctly sized for the application. Too small and it will burn out, too big and it won't ever fire up. I know installers can help with the setup, I also believe Magnaflow has a help line.
The following users liked this post:
Lazarus-F150 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 08:09 AM

Meaning correctly sized for the application. Too small and it will burn out, too big and it won't ever fire up. I know installers can help with the setup, I also believe Magnaflow has a help line.
Thanks, I thought that's what you meant but wanted to be sure.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:51 PM

I don't think the magnaflow metallic spun cats have various sizes. I think they just have one size for the spun cats. Now the non metallic universal cats have a few sizes, one if engines up to 4.2l and a larger oval one for engines up to 6.8 I do believe.
I saw the two sizes in my summit racing catalog yesterday so thats the only way I knew that

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 5.0 Custom Exhaust Help