Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 F-150 V8 overheating

Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1996 F-150 V8 overheating

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help. A few weeks ago the truck was running fine, but I noticed the water pump started leaking. I put a new water pump in. The first few times I drove the truck, it would over heat when I stopped, and about 1/2 gallon of water would burp out. It did that a few times, I assume all the air is out of the system now. The truck still over heats at traffic lights. It cools back down when it gets moving again. The radiator is full, it is not leaking, no blockage that I know of. I am guessing a bad fan clutch, what do you think?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Grab the fan (engine off, of course) and give 'er a spin. If it spins more than 1/2 - 3/4 turn - the clutch is suspect.

Suggest since the problem seemed to have started when the water pump was replaced - there's where ya needs to look - either the wrong water pump, or a defective water pump.

The other options that come to mind are a bad thermostat or a blocked radiator - but again, just too coincidental happening around the same time that the water pump was replaced.

Please tell us you're not running straight water... Suggest being summer and your being in Florida - maybe a simple thing such as the boiling point of your 'coolant' is too low???
The following users liked this post:
Deanjet (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:36 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Did you flush your coolant system when you replaced the pump? The moving of the hoses and force of a new pump can knock some gunk loose causing a clog or restricting coolant flow. When ever I change coolant I always drain the radiator and heater core, flush both until they run clear (no particles coming out in water), then fill it up with hose, run the engine for a few minutes and drain again. I use Prestone's radiator flush, dump it in, fill with water, run it for a couple of days, then completely drain. You can get a flush kit almost anywhere, they got one at walmart for like $4, use that to force anything that has been loosened out of the system. The kits come with a T-tube with screw cap that clamps into the heater hose, used to attach hose to minimize mess and direct the flow of the flushing to where ever you want, I use that as a bleeder valve to help remove air.

If you fan clutch is bad consider doing the E-fan mod, will improve your mpg and costs just slightly more (or less depending on your haggling ability).
The following users liked this post:
Deanjet (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
Did you flush your coolant system when you replaced the pump? ....
Well, if it's not the clutch, I am going to say not flushing the system caused a clog. I'll check it out.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If I give my clutch fan a "flick" it moves about an inch after I let it go. It works fine and cools my truck perfectly.
Stupid question - but just in case. You did put your shroud back on, right ? (Gotta ask)
It does sound like a fan issue though. If you're lucky that will be it - lucky because if buying a new clutch fan would solve the problem, then that's all you would have to do, you know the bolts will come out, and you end up with a new clutch fan into the real. (optimist approach)
Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 PM

Changed out the fan clutch this morning, the truck is now running properly. I guess the clutch failed just as I changed the water pump. When things like this happen, you do a lot of second guessing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 F-150 V8 overheating