Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 i6

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1995 i6

Hey their, haven't posted in a while. So I have a 1995 single cab inline six give speed, bought her about 3 weeks ago. I'm a contracter so in the two weeks I drove her I nearly ran 2000 miles. Woah am I amazed such a strong truck and very reliable. So here's the problem, coming back from work last Friday the truck lost a lot of power. So much I had to downshift to second gear. She wouldn't go passed 35 mph. So I drove 30 miles home and no overheating just the muffler sound changed. Next I had a "mechanic" check her out. He grabbed a 9/16 and moved the distributer cap a bit and bamn she ran perfect! Ok now he advised a complete tuneup which we did do (oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, and even gas filter) Drove her the next two days perfectly fine, them the same thing happened. Driving back home from work she lost all her power, so obviously the problem happens when the engine is in high temp. So I get home truck smells like burned oil and the headers are glowing red??? I figured it was the cat converter the one close to the 02 senser. So I said he'll with it and sliced it with my sawzall. Comes to see that the cat converter is perfect it really looks new. Any ideas? Should be something small because she ran very we'll before. Thank you guys in advance
Old 09-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Water pump,low on water? Or running lean. Pull codes and engine vac. Your blogging down because the emc put the truck in limp mod trying to safe the engine.

Last edited by Aktech; 09-02-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Pull codes.

If the headers are glowing there is something wrong with your cooling system. Hopefully you didn't fry your headgasket (probably did though if they got that hot). Drain your coolant and flush the radiator and heater core/water pump. Use a chemical flusher to help remove any deposits/gunk (walmart has a Prestone Radiator flush for <$4, also they have a flush kit for about the same price which I recommend-saves time refilling as well as makes it easier to drain next time).

I would assume your temp sensor is bad or bad connection.

Quick Reply: 1995 i6