Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 Ford F150 XL

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Ford F150 XL

Hello, This is my first post here. My son's purchased a 1995 Ford F150 XL with a ton of miles on it and it has been hesitating and such. He decided to change out the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Overall a pretty simple job.

Unfortunately,it only sounds easy. It isn't starting now. The truck was running before he did the work and now it will turn over but won't start. Being a good father like I am, lol......I went to see if I could see what he did wrong. I could not figure it out. I am not familiar with ford trucks. The engine was a I-6 and the distributor's # 1 cylinder is located at around 2 o'clock and goes clockwise. The firing order is 15426378. I pulled every plug and check the gap against the spec. and it matches at .44 inches.

Did we need to reset the computer ? if so, how ? Could we have done something to the distributor ? I don't know how, we never touched other than swapping the cap and rotor and they were both keyed. The only other thing I can think of are the sensors such as the EGR and MAP sensors. I dont know how to test them.

At this point, I am open to any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated ! I have come accustomed to working on little honda's and Volvos that I can reach across. That truck is hard to work on. LOL

Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what it should look like:

Try getting the plug wires in order, and see how it runs. If there are still issues, check for codes. This link explains how to do it with a jumper wire and the check engine light:

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-retrieve-trouble-codes-obdi-10907/

Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 PM
New-to-me F150 Owner

Pburchins, How can the firing order be 15426378 on an I-6? It only has 6 cylinders... so the firing order can't be 15426378... unless you have a 302... not an I6.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 PM

You are right. I read it wrong out of the Haynes manual when I transcribed it here. The correct sequence is 153624. Doh!

Aliens,

Great image ! I sent it to my son. He just called me. Woke me up of course and was all excited he had the # 1 cylinder off by one and your image was much better than the Haynes manual. The image showing the where the screws go gave him a good reference point.

I can't thank you enough! I don't have to go waste a half a Saturday now! Thanks Again! I am just glad he is trying to work on the truck. So many young people are scared or too lazy to try to work on the vehicles these days and it is a great source of self pride.

Thanks !
Old 03-07-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I could help - these trucks are quite simple to work on, so there should be no reason to be nervous about getting in there. At least there is plenty of room under the hood (you can actually climb right in there with the I6).

Quick Reply: 1995 Ford F150 XL