Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 F150 Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 F150 Hesitation

1995 F150 5.0L V8

Hesitates when accelerating and idles rough. I thought it could be my throttle position censor, but I changed that and nothing. I have also change spark-plugs/ wires/ distributor cap and rotor, IAC. Cleaned out the throttle body and put on a new gasket and still the problem persists.

My question is could this be a vacuum problem? EGR valve, vacuum reservoir (coffee can)?

Thanks for any response.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like everything I've done in the past year to debug mine. Does it do this: At a steady acceleration, and you feel it bucking or hesitate, and you let off the gas, and then it stops and then gas it up again and it goes?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericantonio
Sounds like everything I've done in the past year to debug mine. Does it do this: At a steady acceleration, and you feel it bucking or hesitate, and you let off the gas, and then it stops and then gas it up again and it goes?
Once in a while that will be the case, but I usually have to step on the gas for it to go.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Snasbury
Once in a while that will be the case, but I usually have to step on the gas for it to go.
Yeah I was easing off on the gas. Then my GF drove the truck and she told me what happened and she said "oh, I stepped on it go make it go!" So either one worked.

I've changed IAC, IC, plugs (twice, realized I wasn't gapped correctly for a long time), wires, EGR, O2sensor, distributor cap, rotor, cleaned the throttle good inside/outside, cleaned MAF, changed all the vacuum lines.

And what finally worked......with the help of the forum, was changing the distributor. YMMV though. It's a 70-100 buck fix if you want to spend that much but I pretty much gave the car a full tuneup in the process so I feel good about that.

It was driving me nuts!! I would go uphill and it would hesitate all the time. And I don't drive it knowing I have to drive on hills but now I'm super confident I can do it (tested it out on the hilliest roads in my area).
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't pulled any codes, do that. Plenty of smart people here to help you. I had an issue that a new PCM fixed.

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 Hesitation