Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1994 F150 5.8 4x4 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 F150 5.8 4x4 Questions

Hey folks!

First thing is I want to say is that this seems like a really good community of owners and enthusiasts with tons of good knowledge. Just about everything I have done to the truck thus far has come from advice found here. I intend on using this forum to further my mechanical knowledge for any other issues that arise.

As for the truck and questions, here is what I have and what I have done so far and what I think may need to do. I bought this '94 F150 XLT 5.8L 4x4 extended cab a few weeks ago from a young man on craigslist for $2700.00. Super nice stock condition. No rust or dents on the body. Minor rust on the underside. Most severe rust around the radiator support bracket, which at that point, is no big deal to me.

At this point, here is what has been done to the truck:

New front brake pads and rotors (pervious owner, but verified by me)
All new fluids
New spark plugs and wires, ignition coil, I believe the distributor cap as well (pervious owner, but verified by me)
I noticed a small radiator leak a few days after purchase and went ahead and replaced it with a new one.
Shocks were shot, so I replaced all four (which was a pain in the butt)
Replaced the O2 sensor as it was throwing a lean oxygen code (172)
Took to my brothers shop and had him balance and rotate tires and he gave me a good bill of health.

Yesterday, the truck would not start. It would turn over, but not start. Fuel pump was constantly running as well. Between this forum and the Haynes manual, I concluded it was the PCM / EEC-IV. So I pulled it out and gave it a visual inspection. Sure enough, two of the electrolytic capacitors had failed. I called a few places and only O'Rileys could order me one for about $200 and a weeks wait. Well, I'm a fairly cheap person so that was out of the question for me. I have also been a Ham Radio operator for about 20 years so I know a fair amount about electronics. I went to radio shack and picked up three replacement capacitors for $3.50 and did the repair myself. Reinstalled and BOOM! Truck started right up and ran like a champ. Yeaaaa! Gotta say, that was a really good feeling.

With all that done, here is what I am left with:
I have a constant 213 code for the spark output (SPOUT). As I understand it, SPOUT controls timing advance and retard once the engine comes up to operating temp. I guess it operates the way vacuum advance would. I know the PCM is operating fine. The ignition control module (ICM) is my most likely source of fault. I ran one of the tests from Haynes with checking the SPOUT pin and came up with around 5 volts AC. This is right in the middle of the error reading. I have not tested for PIP failure or fault as I have been doing some other stuff and this particular problem does not seem to be a big issue in the short term. Just rough idle as of now. Aside from Motorcraft, would another brand of ICM be fine? I am leaning toward Accel for a few different reasons.

Next issue is more perplexing to me. I have almost zero experience with 4wd. This truck is making some rather odd noises on occasion. It is push button 4x4 with auto hubs. Basically, at very low speeds, I hear a very light crunching / squeak. From what I have gathered, it is most likely a universal joint. This I can repair myself. However, one other thing that has happened a time or two is a rather loud and startling bang or clunk that I can feel in my feet. That has happened around 50 mph. Would a worn out u-joint cause this? In my level garage, I can grab the drive axles or the front drive shaft and it has about 2 inches of rotational play. Seems like a lot, but then again, I have ZERO experience with this. The U-Joints look pretty bad. Lots of rust on surface and mostly inside the joints as well. What else should I replace while I have all that removed?

I also have a minor power steering fluid leak. I assume it is the pump, but I have whipped everything down and monitored for leaks. It really appears to be coming from the gear box. Is this a possibility? This is actually the least of my concerns.

Thank you everyone who takes the time to answer my questions! Please, before anyone pulls the "been discussed in another thread" comment, I have searched the hell out of these questions and what I am asking is for a few clarifications. I have also read the Hayes manual more that what was intended and probably have it memorized now, haha. If there is a topic on the question, I would greatly appreciate a link to it.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice truck, I've always wanted a clean stock 5.8 4x4
Old 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice truck, wish i could help you with the mechanical issues but i personally have no idea

Quick Reply: 1994 F150 5.8 4x4 Questions