Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1992 with very dim headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1992 with very dim headlights

We are having serious problems... having to drive with brights on all the time... This is the winter truck, and it sits mostly till snow...

1992 F150 Nite 4x4 extra cab... we are having problems with low beams... they are just a light glow on the driver and normal on the passenger... then the when on high beams are on the passenger is a low glow but brighter than the others when they are in lows (fog lights are connected to the passenger side head light and are dim as well when in low). I've had all the wires tested, re-grounded the battery, and switched out the multi-switch... also checked all the grounds on the truck... Next I tried replaceing the headlight relay.. got one, but where the is it? Or does it have one? Thinking I am taking the relay back and exchange it for a light switch....

Please enabody HELP!! Snow is comming and I can't be blinding people or lighting up the flakes and fog!!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I hate to sound like an *** here, but have you changed the bulbs? If you have, please disregard this.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 PM
April 2010 TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with ^

Buy two new Headlight-Bulbs for your truck.

Raise hood to swap bulbs, they're simple to install.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Default bulbs maybe... or not...

I took the driver side bulb out, tried the lights... and nada... none of the headlights came on.... Do they run in series? Looked at the bulb, but can't tell if it's the right bulb that is supposed to be there... tried one from my Bronco... did the same as before... Now we are going down to buy the switch... hopefully that is it.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The headlights shouldn't run in a series. Dont know if there is a headlight relay, but I kind of doubt it. Switch sounds unlikely too, so if you really want to change it I'd pull one from a junkyard if you can before you spend more at the parts store...it will probably cost $5-$10 and take about 2 minutes to pull.

New bulbs are cheap and a good place to start, but 11 crispy creams out of a dozen say its something in the way the fog lights are hooked up. Your lights shouldn't go out from taking a bulb out.

Also, this may not be the problem, but the shiny part in the back of the headlight lens can wear off, which will reduce you headlight beam to a glow. If it looks grey and non reflective in the back of the lens its time for new ones.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree that it’s probably something to do with the fog lights, so I would undo them from the headlights then see what the headlights do. You said you had the wires tested do you mean you did a continuity check or a voltage test? If not you need to check the voltage at the headlights to make sure you have proper voltage. You also might want to check to see if you have lost the ground for the light circuit you can run a test ground to it to see if it helps.
Also if your truck is equipped the DRL system you have a module that you'll need to check.

Last edited by Nitehawkjr; 10-10-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

you have a ground issue....find the headlight grounds and clean them and replace...typical ford issue...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Dr Bowtie. Check the ground strap on the front right of the truck. remove the wiring for the fog lights and see if gets better.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:45 PM

K, I will try the ground again.. wire test was for both continuity and voltage... that is why the guy said it was the multi-switch... but that didn't change that... Fog lights were added to the lights after the problem was already there, had to light the road some how... but like I said, this is a winter truck... and I think some idiot (me) had a light go out 2 winters ago, and possibly took a spare bulb out of the pile of bulbs for my Bronco and just stuck it in there and parked it... When I switched bulbs, (left and right) it did the exact oppisite... Gee.. Looking at one, there are no numbers or anything on it... just says FORD... I think I will return the light switch and invest in a new set of bulbs... LOL Wish me luck!!

Last edited by ASoCalCowBoy; 10-11-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 92 the headlights should be a 9007 bulb, if you mistakenly put a 9004 bulb in place you will have a short circuit and dim bulbs. The number should be written down on the side of the bulb along with the wattage. The relay is under the hood in the power distribution box by the master cylinder. You should have close to if not exactly the battery voltage on the headlight connections. If not you have a short some place.

Quick Reply: 1992 with very dim headlights