Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1991 Ford F-150 - Gas tank won't fill

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question 1991 Ford F-150 - Gas tank won't fill

Hello everyone!

I was given a 1991 Ford F150 that is having issues accepting gas when at the gas station.

Previous Owner says the front tank went out first and now the rear tank will not accept gas. He says he has to pump gas very slow and after a few seconds the gas spills out. He's even tried siphoning gas in and it does the same.

After researching on Google I came across a few forums that suggest the fuel filler neck can cause this issue. Others have drilled holes on the filler neck to help with venting. Others say its some canister on the fuel tank that cause this problem.

I've pulled off the fuel filler neck from the rear tank and I'm not sure what to look for in order to say that the filler neck is the problem. I've blown air through the neck and ran water through it and it pours out with no issues.

I've called around to some local junk yards and there no Fords similar to test another fuel filler neck from a different truck. Local parts store say it can be ordered for ~$200.

The truck turns on. Has less than 60,000 original miles. Not sure what to do about getting it to fuel up properly to continue other work on the truck at this point.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as far as what to do to resolve this issue? Or where to buy parts for this year/model truck?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atrocity79
Hello everyone!

I was given a 1991 Ford F150 that is having issues accepting gas when at the gas station.

Previous Owner says the front tank went out first and now the rear tank will not accept gas. He says he has to pump gas very slow and after a few seconds the gas spills out. He's even tried siphoning gas in and it does the same.

After researching on Google I came across a few forums that suggest the fuel filler neck can cause this issue. Others have drilled holes on the filler neck to help with venting. Others say its some canister on the fuel tank that cause this problem.

I've pulled off the fuel filler neck from the rear tank and I'm not sure what to look for in order to say that the filler neck is the problem. I've blown air through the neck and ran water through it and it pours out with no issues.

I've called around to some local junk yards and there no Fords similar to test another fuel filler neck from a different truck. Local parts store say it can be ordered for ~$200.

The truck turns on. Has less than 60,000 original miles. Not sure what to do about getting it to fuel up properly to continue other work on the truck at this point.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as far as what to do to resolve this issue? Or where to buy parts for this year/model truck?
I eould say its the fuel pump and the fuel floater my friend had the same issue with a Silverado he would pump 5 $ n it will start spilling if he went more than 5$
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

^^^^NO^^^^
This is Ford, nothing to do with the fuel pump. Google answers the question.

The fuel neck includes a vent. When the vent becomes corroded or clogged, even by a spider web, it will not allow air from the fuel tanks to exit while being replaced by fuel. I would replace the filler neck assemblies. They run right around $100 each. You could try a salvage yard, but when dealing with the fuel, I go new. $200 is way too much for a single assembly. These are all over the net for $100-105. Actually you'll like these prices.
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/1990...2yoBoC3pjw_wcB
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/1987...rear-tank-gas/

Last edited by unit505; 03-23-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info and links. Those prices are better. Lol.

I'm hoping a new fuel filler neck resolves the issue.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Gold Stars to UNIT 505 !

Absolutely hitting the nail on the head.. The vent tube inside the filler tube is damaged or plugged>

Why am I so sure? Cuz I've been there!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:48 PM

I'm hoping that the replacement part fixes the issue on at least one tank.

Did this happen to a single tank or both tanks?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

mine was on the rear tank. we damaged my rear tank filler tube and vent while replacing tank. It would not vent properly while filling - had to fill slowly. Repaired with junk yard replacement.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

What if it doesn't over flow but just shuts off the pump over and over every couple gallon but is not full. I kept doing it and got in 5 gal or more in but gave up bc I didnt need to go far and it hasn't been driven since. That happened last time I got gas and I hope it was a one time thing. Only put gas in one tank but I'll be due for some this weekend again.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

This issue doesn't correct itself. If the tank overflowed, you would have been using a bad gas pump. Gas pumps operating correctly cut off at the point that filler neck fills with gas. This is one of things that you either spend money on a used neck or spend money on a new neck with a warranty. If the problem still exists with a brand new filler neck, you should be able to return it.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. It was the first time it ever did that last time I got gas. That is the front tank and the guage doesnt work either so maybe I can kill two birds w one stone there but I don't want it to completely go out as the pump still works and it doesn't leak etc. As long as it takes gas w out too much trouble then I'll run it until it just shuts off over and over then get it fixed. The rear works fine but I need a new radiator at some point and a new rear main at some point too so I have lots of things going on and not enough money to fix it all at once so I have to see which one needs the most attention first. Time will tell. Does the tank have to be dropped to install the filler neck? If so that may be what I need to fix first bc I'm pretty sure the float is sunk to the bottom of the tank and needs replacing too

Last edited by choate; 03-26-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 1991 Ford F-150 - Gas tank won't fill