Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1991 f150 Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 f150 Need Help

Hi all Im new to this forum, im hoping to get some help on my vehicle. Im going to try and make this as short as possible so bear with me if you can and if you can help me with this I will greatly appreciate it. So thanks in advance.

Long story short I own a 1991 f150 5.0 Manual transmission which I bought a couple months ago, (btw this is a "Nite" edition)
anyways the previous owner had it sitting for a long time idk exactly how long and it had old gas in the fuel tanks which a couple days later led to sticking valve and bent pushrods.

I decided to rebuild this truck, truck now has new Heads, refurbished injectors, new fuel pumps, fuel filter, and resealed the whole engine etc. new suspension and everything else.

So the problem is I cannot fire this truck back up =(
so far I have come to a dead end and can not figure this one out.
I did not move timing at all, and have firing order double and triple checked.
I have checked fuel pressure and am getting 40psi which is within specs.
I have made sure I am getting spark at all wires of course including ignition coil.
I have tested compression on all cylinders at 120psi.
I have also made sure I am getting injector pulse with a noid light. and have checked power to all injectors, and sensors related to that circuit.
so far I have Gasoline, compression, and spark...but no joy.
I also checked the inertia switch and it is good.
I also sprayed starting fluid and no luck...
truck doesn't make an attempt to try and start.

one thing I have noticed is that when I pull the spark plugs out they are not wet or smell like little fuel. but again I have checked the injector circuit and it is pulsating. so my final guess would be all fuel injectors are not injecting?? but they ohm out just fine at 15ohms. but then again why wont it make an attempt to fire with starting fluid??

I cannot figure this out, all ground wires are there and have tested good. the truck used to fire right up before the valves stuck. so im really confused all the ecm relay and fuel pump relays are also fine.
if anyone can give me some input or have run into this similar problem please comment and let me know ive really hit a dead end on this one.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

When you pulled heads you left distributer in place? If not could you be 180 off? That's the first thing that comes to mind, cause that's what I did with new heads and a cam.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
When you pulled heads you left distributer in place? If not could you be 180 off? That's the first thing that comes to mind, cause that's what I did with new heads and a cam.

Yes I Left distributor in place, I did notice that engine has been rebuilt and bored .040 over im wondering if the previous person might have actually left distributor 180 and I wired it back to original? hmmm makes me wonder?? its worth checking out, but wouldn't it be impossible since the module hooks up to the distributor?? I also remember checking this, I put engine at tdc compression stroke and the rotor point to number 1 on cap. wouldn't this contradict it being 180 degrees off?

Last edited by Rendonlm143; 04-22-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Is there a restriction somewhere in the intake? Filter box maybe? If you haven't already, try starting fluid straight into the intake with the air box/tunnel removed. If you are getting spark and you introduced fuel (especially starting fluid), something should happen. For some reason, it's not making it's way to the cylinders.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

It has to be spark related. Since it's map I'm sure you removed intake tube when trying starting fluid. Should be able to make it run with starting fluid.

On second thought maybe timing chain problem when push rod bent? Or gear on distributor?

Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by broncojunkie
Is there a restriction somewhere in the intake? Filter box maybe? If you haven't already, try starting fluid straight into the intake with the air box/tunnel removed. If you are getting spark and you introduced fuel (especially starting fluid), something should happen. For some reason, it's not making it's way to the cylinders.
Yes i have tried starting fluid and nothing the only thing that sometimes happens is backfires once through intake .
Old 04-22-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
It has to be spark related. Since it's map I'm sure you removed intake tube when trying starting fluid. Should be able to make it run with starting fluid.

On second thought maybe timing chain problem when push rod bent? Or gear on distributor?

Just thinking out loud.
Thanks for your reply im going to check timing again, when i use starting fluid only thing it does is backfires 1 time through intake. Timing problem??
Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

X2 on the timing chain. Something could have happened when you bent the pushrods. I would ground out a plug and see if it sparks, because it should fire off starting fluid if there is spark unless timing is way way off
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That sucks...

dumb question probably, but did you happen to check for codes? does it go through the preliminary startup noises...I know you get fuel...but if the dist pickup is bad you'll get nowhere. TPS will stop you in your tracks..At this point I would grab a DMM and the Haynes and check every engine management part I could...It is a MPITA but it will eliminate some guess work
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM

Default Think i found problem

Hey all double checked and i think i found problem

The distributor is 180 degrees out -____- again i never moved it but whoever installed it last time mustve left it 180 out and wired it accordingly. Now my question is this if i wire it 180 out will i have any problems? Or would i have to put it back 180 degrees??

Quick Reply: 1991 f150 Need Help