Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1990 ICM modification / relocation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 ICM modification / relocation question

I have been working on several issues on my F150 and have hit a roadblock that I believe is tied to crap aftermarket parts and poor design by Ford. I have the typical " my truck stalls and sputters symptoms" which I fully believe I have tied to the typical ignition Control Module. ICM

What I have done so far

Pulled codes and replaced the TPS ( no code now)
Pulled codes replaced the idle control sensor ( no code now)
Pulled codes and replaced the BPM sensor ( no code now)
Ran final code scan. All clear. Code 11 yay

Truck still dies and sputters at idle and while driving

Replaced the Ignition Control Module with a BWP sensor, ran great for a few days.... Then like It always did died stalled and acted like the fuel pump was bad

Checked fuel pressure. Right where it should be
Duel tank, both tanks are supplying adequate fuel at the right pressure!

Replaced Entire distributor assembly and set timing at 11btdc - Still happens

Replaced coil still happens
Replaced wires, still happens

Replaced the ICM again with a second BWP replacement part. And the truck ran FANTASTIC for about a week! Then like ... Not so good again.

So here is my question, based on what I have read on the forum, it seems like the design for these 150s, where the ICM is attached to the distributor, basically cooks the ICM. Has anyone tried to retrofit the ICM off of the distributor (like the 4.9 setup) where the ICM is mounted on the wheel well to a 5.0 302 and just run jumpers to the distributor? Seems this might be an option to not cook the 5.0 ICM all the time.

I fully believe my issue is defective and poorly constructed aftermarket parts. I plan on going to get an OEM ICM from Ford this week but Wondering what everyone's thoughts might be on relocating it off the distributor? I really don't want to fry an expensive OEM part in a short period of time!,,

This is a great low mile 150 and I hate to have the gremlins get the best of me!

Last edited by hopsnbarley; 07-10-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I did it anyways.

Built a wire harness to relocate the ICM away from the Distributor. Works GREAT AND NO MORE ISSUES AT THIS POINT,

Quick Reply: 1990 ICM modification / relocation question