Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1990 AC Vacuum Hose Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 AC Vacuum Hose Question

I have a 1990 with the 4.9 L in it. I was having the problem where my fan would only blow through the defrost. After reading and searching I determined it was a vacuum issue. I had a missing hose and broken hose on the small hoses that go from the intake to the check valve that then goes to the dash and so forth.

A couple of these hoses need to be replaced. They have a large nipple with a tiny hose. Here is a picture of it.

I have gone to every auto parts store around and no one has this hose. I was able to pull the old hose out of the nipple and try to insert a new hose, but the only hose I can find isn't the right size and I cannot get a tight fit. I can get it to work by taping it but it won't hold and I keep having to play with it to keep it working.

Any ideas on where to find this hose or any suggestions on how to make this work?

Thanks for any help you may have.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I just ordered 30 feet of 4mm silicone hose (http://www.ebay.com/itm/171729677592) from BlackHorse Racing to do my 1992. You will NEED 20-22' according to most posts, but I wanted some extra, just in case.

There are a couple of posts here, on the process and I am hoping to redo ALL the vacuum lines. What you have is an adapter, which will not be needed with proper size hose. You may get by with a 5/32" rubber fuel/vacuum line to go OVER the white plastic (if it does not crumble in your hand) line and then go to the nipple directly.

I tried silicone intakes, the site referenced here, but when I had an order issue, I found they are "an online store" only...no sales support or human intervention to help with a credit card order or a split order.

I ordered this hose yesterday afternoon from my link above, and it shipped last night, free shipping included.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by kd3pc
I just ordered 30 feet of 4mm silicone hose (http://www.ebay.com/itm/171729677592) from BlackHorse Racing to do my 1992. You will NEED 20-22' according to most posts, but I wanted some extra, just in case.

There are a couple of posts here, on the process and I am hoping to redo ALL the vacuum lines. What you have is an adapter, which will not be needed with proper size hose. You may get by with a 5/32" rubber fuel/vacuum line to go OVER the white plastic (if it does not crumble in your hand) line and then go to the nipple directly.

I tried silicone intakes, the site referenced here, but when I had an order issue, I found they are "an online store" only...no sales support or human intervention to help with a credit card order or a split order.

I ordered this hose yesterday afternoon from my link above, and it shipped last night, free shipping included.

Thanks for the information. That looks like what I need. I am still confused on connecting the hose to the nipple. Do you push the hose into the nipple?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 AM

the 4mm hose is bigger than the "black" stuff that is now brittle. You will be replacing the piece of hose, entirely, that uses the "black brittle" stuff, and the new 4mm hose will fit OVER both of the original devices, so need need for the adapter nipple you show.

Just do one run of vacuum line at a time, end to end.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:21 PM

Caution:

I just found out that although "BlackHorse Racing" ships from CA, they are in fact, a chinese based company - which will result in an IAT Fee being assessed by your bank, if paypal pulls money from your account. In my case it was "Only" $10USD, it was still an unexpected hit, and there was nothing in the eBay ad to indicate the company was offshore.

Oh well.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 PM

the 4mm hose is bigger than the "black" stuff that is now brittle. You will be replacing the piece of hose, entirely, that uses the "black brittle" stuff, and the new 4mm hose will fit OVER both of the original devices, so need need for the adapter nipple you show.

Just do one run of vacuum line at a time, end to end.

Got it - Thanks for the info. I thought of using a larger hose to fit the connection, but I was afraid the bigger size would not work as well.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 PM

Caution:

I just found out that although "BlackHorse Racing" ships from CA, they are in fact, a chinese based company - which will result in an IAT Fee being assessed by your bank, if paypal pulls money from your account. In my case it was "Only" $10USD, it was still an unexpected hit, and there was nothing in the eBay ad to indicate the company was offshore.

Oh well.

That sucks. They should be more informative about that in their description.

Quick Reply: 1990 AC Vacuum Hose Question