Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1990 351 5.8 Windsor EFI...Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 351 5.8 Windsor EFI...Please help!!!

I was given a 1990 f 150...I got a new paint job and speakers and stuff...but anyways i dont know where to start with the problems it idles fine...when you put it in drive and overdrive after about 7 seconds it just quits but it will idle forever in park, neutra,l reverse, and low. it takes probably 17 seconds to get from 0 to 60 its really slow. when i went up a hill today i noticed that it topped out at 37 mph in drive but when i got over the top of the hill it shot up to 65 then i let off. it has an aod transmission....i noticed the abs light comes on sometime...when you take off in drive the whole cab shakes and it goes so slow....you can take off in drive you just cant let it idle for over 7 seven second... i noticed a vacume line is broke...picture below. I am in an automotive class and we have a code reader there i havent got the chance to take it in because i havent got the insurance card yet im taking it in tuesday...but the check engine light isnt on will it still give me codes???i have change the oil,oil filter and air filter...the transmission was overhauled last year because of the problem and it didnt change any of the problems so i dont think its the transmission.ohha and when the abs light isnt on it runs a whole lot better but not near as good as i think it should because going up hill it still only goes 55 mph. but the thump is still there when your taking off in drive even when the abs light is off

Video of me driving it...it didnt run too bad this time but you can still tell that somethings not right video below

Attached Thumbnails 1990 351 5.8 Windsor EFI...Please help!!!-pic-0594.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Zeke Smith; 09-27-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:22 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You do have a host of problems. What you need to do is take them one at a time.

The first thing to do is read your diagnostic codes You have an OBD1 system you can purchase a nice code reader at Checker Auto, O'Reilly, etc for 30 bucks. Yes you can read the code by putting a jumper in the OBS socket and a trouble light or Volt meter and count the light flashes or the meter movement but that is a PIA. This will give you a base line on what the On Board Diagnostic sensors have logged. If you are really strapped for cash Autozone will read you codes for free.

Inspect and replace any bad vacuum lines you find. Make sure your transmission has the proper fluid level. If you have not done so already replace the fuel filter.

From what you have described you could have bad injectors, bad Throttle position sensor, Oxygen sensor, a big vacuum leak etc, I am sorry to say some of what you describe sounds like a transmission with a worn out clutch pack.

If the transmission is bad there are thousands of good used AOD transmissions out there, If you are able to take Auto mechanic school courses take a class on transmissions and rebuild the AOD yourself.

First thing read your OBD codes and tell us what they say.

Last edited by transmaster; 09-27-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in an automotive class and we have a code reader there i havent got the chance to take it in because i havent got the insurance card yet im taking it in tuesday...but the check engine light isnt on will it still give me codes???i have change the oil,oil filter and air filter...the transmission was overhauled last year because of the problem and it didnt change any of the problems so i dont think its the transmission.ohha and when the abs light isnt on it runs a whole lot better but not near as good as i think it should because going up hill it still only goes 55 mph. but the thumb is still there when your taking off in drive even when the abs light is off

Last edited by Zeke Smith; 09-27-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In a truck of the age of your the fact the check engine light is not on is almost meaningless the bulb could be burnt out, the the person who had it before you did could have just reset is to get rid of the irritation, I have even had people tell me they just removed the bulb. So even though it isn't on read what ever error codes might be there, and judging by how the truck is running I would think there will be a number of them..

Quick Reply: 1990 351 5.8 Windsor EFI...Please help!!!