Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1989 Ford F150, 4.9 liter, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Ford F150, 4.9 liter, help!

Hi all,
I have a 1989 Ford F150, 4.9 liter straight-six motor, fuel injection. I have very little money and can't afford to take this to a mechanic, so am trying to troubleshoot. There's a couple problems with it:

1. Vacuum lines are all mixed up so now the engine races. I replaced the valve cover gasket but like a dummy, I didn't label all the vacuum lines. I thought I could remember where they went, but I didn't, and now the engine races at idle. I bought the electrical/vacuum shop manual for the 1989 F150, but it doesn't give me enough information on how to put the lines back in order. Does anyone out there have the same year engine who can talk me through and possibly email photos? I can take photos of mine and post them.

2. Second problem is the starter and solenoid/relay. I have replaced the starter twice and the relay/solenoid four times, and I keep having the same problem. The passenger-side fender-mounted relay/solenoid sticks so that the starter keeps cranking after the engine starts. Also, every time I replace the starter, it immediately begins going bad. If I try to start the truck after driving it for a short distance, the starter is hot and doesn't like to crank, so I need to let it cool off. For the sticking solenoid problem, I have to disconnect the battery and tap the solenoid which "unsticks" it. If I disconnect the ignition-key wire from the solenoid while it is cranking, it still cranks, so I know it's not an ignition-wiring problem. I have replaced the solenoid with three different brands including an original Ford solenoid with no difference. I have tried different brands of starters as well, with no change. Could this be a flywheel problem with the starter, and do some Ford starters require shims?
Please help!
Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Same year, but different motor here.
For the vacuum lines, ugh, fun stuff. There should be an emissions sticker somewhere (like on the air cleaner cover) showing the routing of those lines. As far as the other lines, about all I can suggest if the diagrams don't help out and you can't find a like truck - is to see if the existing lines have a 'set' to them which may help indicate about where they're supposed to go. Look for an open port that has the same size connector as the hose.

If the engine is racing, you've got a lot of air getting in somewheres. Perhaps try to block off all the ports until the idle comes back down. Then at least you'll know where all the hoses need to go.

As for your starter problems, do you have a modified or damaged exhaust that passes too close to the starter, or are any factory heat shields (not sure if the 6cyl had them) still in place? Trying to understand why the starter gets hot when you drive.
When the solenoid does work, will the starter disengage from the flywheel? If so, then thinking that perhaps your solenoid sticking problems are feeding your starter problems. If the starter does not disengage - would look at flywheel - you can probably get a pretty good visual through the starter hole. Don't know about shims - mine doesn't have them.
As far as the solenoid, the only things that come to mind are too much current is welding the contacts, the solenoid is getting distorted somehow, not allowing the contact assembly to move freely or there is some other power source to the solenoid pull-in coil.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM

http://www.f150online.com/forums/pre...uum-lines.html

This should help get your vacuum lines straightened out.

Last edited by 89f1504.9; 05-27-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Error
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Your main POS & NEG cables are pooched! Replace & go up a gauge size. If the solenoid's still allowing voltage through w/ the ignition trigger wire removed, your solenoid's pooched again too! Nothing will change until you do the cables, except you'll be toasting components sooner each time. Inspect the wires off the alternator too. (an exception would be if your showing voltage on the trigger wire when the key is not in the start position)

Last edited by ymeski56; 05-27-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

way to dig up a 3 year old thread guys...I dont think the OP has the issue any more..
Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
way to dig up a 3 year old thread guys...I dont think the OP has the issue any more..
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

is that the OFFICIAL Deer in the Headlights look?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
is that the OFFICIAL Deer in the Headlights look?
That & my "Who dug that ol' thing up" look! Any input on that "89f1504.9"?

Last edited by ymeski56; 05-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 PM

I had i complete diagram in my pictures cause i went through the same vacuum game. The problem is I'm not sure how to post pics on here and thats what i came up with.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 89f1504.9
I had i complete diagram in my pictures cause i went through the same vacuum game. The problem is I'm not sure how to post pics on here and thats what i came up with.
The point is the original thread is so old, the guy probably bought a new truck by now! No big deal. If I didn't have some time to waste, I'd be doing something else. Come to think of it, I should be doing something else right now! See ya.

Quick Reply: 1989 Ford F150, 4.9 liter, help!