I did a little research for you in my book and I found a couple troubleshooting things.
Engine misses at idle speed:
1. Spark plugs worn, fouled or not gapped correctly
2. Fault in fuel or electrical systems
3. faulty spark plug wires
4. vaccuum leaks at intake or hose connections
5. uneven or low cylinder compression
Engine misses throughout driving speed range:
1. fuel filter clogged and/or impurities in fuel system
2. faulty spark plugs or gapped incorrectly
3. fuel/electrical system.
4. incorrect ignition timing
5. cracked distributor cap, disconnected distributor wires, or damaged distributor components.
6. defective spark plug wires
7. faulty emissions system components
8. cylinder compression
9. weak or faulty ignition system
10. vacuum leaks at throttle body/intake/ or vacuum hoses
I hope this helps. hopefully you can check some of the things off the list that can save you some money from having a mechanic do it!!
let me know if it does help