Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1989 f-150 Will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 f-150 Will not turn over

I have a 1989 f-150 5.0L V8 4X4 that has been sitting in my driveway and has not been moved since 2008. I recently started to fix it up but as you may think I have run into a lot of problems. When I turn the key nothing happens. I have done some research in hope that someone might have had this problem before, and of course people have. I did what was said on other forums (new battery, new starter solenoid, new starter, checked the ignition) I have put the trunk in neutral and tried to start it then but sill nothing, not even a single sound. When I put in the starter and turned the car it sounded like the starter turned a little but when it hit what I think is the fly wheel (I don't know a whole lot about the workings of engines) it stopped and when I tried it again nothing. I am by no means a mechanic so any help would be awesome. (I don't know if this matters but I have already changed the oil and put in a new oil filter)
Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Will the engine turn over manually? Could be stuck from sitting 7 years
Old 05-16-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Get a socket that fits the bolt inside the front crankshaft pulley, a 6' ? extension and a ratchet and see if the motor will turn by hand (with the key off of course).
The piston rings could have seized to the cylinder walls from sitting so long (among other things that could have happened in there).
If you can't turn it by hand, the starter system never will. (cross your fingers...)
Old 05-24-2015, 10:32 PM

Default The Crankshaft moved but still nothing

Thank you for your quick response, I tried to manual move the crank shaft and it moved with out a problem, but when I turned the key nothing happened. My neighbor let me borrow his Multimeter, and when I tested the battery it was fine, but when I turned the key the voltage did not drop like it should. So do y'all have any ideas on what to do next?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:52 AM

There's a relay solenoid on the fender beside the battery. Should have 2 big connections and a very small push on one. Check if you get power to that small one when you turn the key to start.
You can also jump a connection between the 2 big connections with a large screwdriver. Make sure it's in neutral or park.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Default Nothing from the S-Wire

I tested to see if any power got to the S-Wire and there was nothing and I also tried to connect the two bolts with a screw drive and it turned over but still did not start. And thank you for the quick reply.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM

So it will turn over, you're just not getting power to the little wire that tells the solenoid to do it's thing.
You (then) also may not be getting power to your coil. You will want to test if there is power to the coil connection closest to the driver's fender when the key is turned on.
This could be as simple as a bad wire, bad fuse, or faulty ignition switch.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
So it will turn over, you're just not getting power to the little wire that tells the solenoid to do it's thing.
You (then) also may not be getting power to your coil. You will want to test if there is power to the coil connection closest to the driver's fender when the key is turned on.
This could be as simple as a bad wire, bad fuse, or faulty ignition switch.
Can you please walk me though how to check the coil connection, I looked online but I am not sure on how to do it.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM

2 wires on the plug that goes to the coil. Hook your test light to ground and use the other end to probe the wire closest to the drivers fender.
It should light up when the key is on.
It should also light up when the key is at start.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:55 PM

I found why the S-wire was not getting any power, it was the ignition switch. I replaced that today and when I turned the key, the starter still did not make a sound and neither did the starter relay, but I could hear a pop right in front of the driver. I tested the S-Wire for voltage and the battery for a voltage drop. The battery dropped about one volt when the key was turned and the S-Wire had about half of the power of the battery, which I believe the S-wire and the battery should be about the same. Does anyone know why the S-wire have about half the voltage it should?

Thank you

Quick Reply: 1989 f-150 Will not turn over