Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1987 F150 Water Pump and Power Steering Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1987 F150 Water Pump and Power Steering Pump Replacement

Since the last batch of repairs, the '87's been running great for a few months, but it seems the recent cold snap has taken its toll on the above two parts.

The temp dropped to freezing outside, and suddenly the power steering pump makes a combination whining/creaking noise when turning (also, the hoses actually visibly wiggle when the wheel is turned a few inches), and the water pump seems to be leaking coolant directly where it seals.

What's interesting is that both of these issues stop after the engine has sufficiently warmed up. Would I be incorrect in assuming that metal (and I suppose rubber) are contracting in the cold, and expanding back to within tolerance once warmed up? In any case, I think that means these two were on their last legs already, so it's probably time to replace them.

Is there anything I should know before doing either of these? I have a Chilton's that should guide me through anything not obvious by simple observation, but a link to a DIY would still always be appreciated. Finally, is there any last-minute troubleshooting I should perform to ensure I really need to replace these two, and not just a related part? The pumps are fairly inexpensive (under $40 for each), and it doesn't seem like they'll be difficult to replace, so I'm not too unhappy if that's what needs to be done.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

You will need the special power steering pump pulley remover if the new one doesn't already come with a pulley. Wondering if there was moisture in the fluid that is freezing?

Water pump isn't a bad changeout - just be careful with the bolts - they may be corroded and not receptive to yankin' crankin' with the wrenches.

With both - recommend quality parts - not the bargain-basement crap.

Quick Reply: 1987 F150 Water Pump and Power Steering Pump Replacement