Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1987 302 ?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 302 ?!?!?

Hey to all!,
As stated I have a 87 f150 302. I have dubbed her "Pebbles". Supposedly rebuilt heads. But when I got it she was bone dry no oil. I freaked. They drove from white settlement from Fort Worth to me here in rockwall texas.
I drained flushed and replaced all fluids/filters and noticed a ticking sound coming from passenger side cylinders. In idle in drive it's really noticeable. In park. It's their but not as loud. The speed of sound does pick up when givin throttle in drive but does not get louder by any means. In fact as I go faster and revs go up you can barely if at all still recognize it unless your next to a wall on the highway. Things I replaced due to the fact I you trully never know what's been done when you get a vehicle.
Thermostat
Temp sending unit.
Temp gage
Oil temp gage
Iac
Egr
Throttle ps.
Spark plugs and boots and wires
Fan switch
Really every switch access able and electrical component outside of computer and ecm on distributer...

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking because it's not so loud maybe a manifold leak. Spraying heavy soap and dealing with the smell to try and find air escaping to no prevail yet... was also thinking now mayne roller rocker or push rods... anyone any input or direction would help.

Also... I've seen a few threads where people are getting iac cover plates as well as egr plates to help create more of a vacuum. I do idle a little high but have not been able to find any sort of oil leak... or vacuum leak...

Would those plates help create a stronger vacuum or be suggested at all?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Bone dry on oil ? as in nothing came out of the pan when you pulled the plug ?or just not reading on the dipstick ?
The tick might just be a sticky lifter, try putting some seafoam in there and see if it'll clean things up - 1/2 in the oil, 1/2 in the gas tank.
You should be able to see a manifold leak or feel the air with your hand. Try putting a short length of garden hose up to your ear and try listening around with the other end. That might help you pinpoint the noise.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:56 PM

I have narrowed it down to the passenger side head. Now as for weather or not it's a lifter or a pushrod. Is my concern. IV got sea foam. And have treated it. Both in oil and tank. No difference. I'm not throwing any codes. And as for the oil... The engines consumption is too high. I feel like i have to top it off once every other week. I have done an all around change and examined the oil. No shavings or particles at least noticable. But yes it was bone dry when I pulled the plug. In the begining. I have been staying on top of it. But any leads to cause such consumption? I'm not leaking. IV left cardboard everywhere under the truck overnight. Was thinking it has overheated. Maybe warped pistons allowing Tok much oil to the mixture and burning it off. Or maybe dripping down into the bell housing with the transmission. Really not to sure. Any clues would be helpful...
Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Is your PCV system working ? A faulty PCV can cause major oil consumption
Old 10-12-2014, 02:24 PM

If your talking the little valve in the rear of that passenger head cover. I replaced it. I also have a filter/seperater on that line prior to hitting the intake of the plenum. Still allows oil through just filters the crap out... should I remove it? I thought it to be beneficial. ..
Old 10-12-2014, 02:35 PM

I don't know for sure there, but if you don't have POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION, then pressure builds up in the crankcase and pushes oil past the rings.
Other than that, if you don't have major leakage on the ground, it's probably worn rings or valve seals.
Valve seals can be replaced without pulling the heads but rings ...not so much.
Maybe a compression test (dry and wet)and vacuum gauge would tell you quite a bit
Old 10-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Also - "tick" or "thump". Top end noise is ticky sounding, bearing noise is more of a bass sound
Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Tick and does not carry any where into the cab. But can definitely hear it when near the passenger side exhaust. The only reason my fear of a sticky valve or rocker...
Old 10-12-2014, 03:15 PM

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about a ticky lifter. It might even clear up, they do sometimes.
The oil consumption is more of a concern, but it's running for now so at least that.
But honestly, the history - showing up with no oil in it, major oil consumption etc is what I'd be worried about. Presumably it's a nice enough truck to have it brought from elsewhere, so if you've got to put a motor in it in the forseeable future, then you do, but then your nice truck will have a new motor and be even nicer.
As long as it's still running ok you've got time to shop for a deal. Lots of guys rebuild engines and then scrap out the vehicle because it's a piece of junk.
All I'm saying is that personally I think I'd be starting to shop for one 'cause it doesn't look real good.
Not to be all doom and gloom on you but you probably had your suspicions anyway.
The good thing is that all those new parts should bolt right on to a new motor
Old 10-12-2014, 03:23 PM

This true. Planned on building one or rebuilding one in the meantime anyways. But thanks for the help boss.

Quick Reply: 1987 302 ?!?!?